Wifi on/off for stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjk454ss

Oct 8, 2013
Michigan
I've been running my stove without really using the thermostat and I'm looking for a way to turn it on before I get home. I was thinking a timer, but a wifi option would be great since I don't always know a time. Now I'm thinking I don't want to/shouldn't out the stove on a wifi controlled outlet because then it would immediately I'll the power when I shut it off. Fans and all.

Is there a way to hookup something to the thermostat control to just turn it on and off via an iPhone app? I know they have wifi thermostats but they seem expensive for what I need. If tests the only option is there a cheap model that works?

I've been looking, and just to confirm, could I just use a regular old light switch? Wire it up into a box and hook up the 2 wires? The thermostat is just creating a circuit right? Or won't this work?

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-Enabled-Control-Anywhere-Compatible/dp/B00DGEGJ02

Or if I'm spending $35 or $40 should I just get a wifi thermostat? Problem for me is its only for the pellet stove. I already have one for the furnace and the a/c, otherwise I would get a nice thermostat and not worry too much about the cost. Or, is there any thermostat that I could control all 3 with?

Last edited:
You would have to hook this switch up to a relay that would then make the thermostat connection. That unit needs 120 volt power to operate and that would spell disaster to the thermostat circuit. That would add expense to the project. A Honeywell WiFi thermostat should do the trick and would be about 120.00.

Reactions: jjk454ss
I second the Honeywell t stat. Good band for the buck and has a pretty good interface. Plus, then it'll give you a few more of those functions that are nice to have.

Reactions: jjk454ss
You would have to hook this switch up to a relay that would then make the thermostat connection. That unit needs 120 volt power to operate and that would spell disaster to the thermostat circuit. That would add expense to the project. A Honeywell WiFi thermostat should do the trick and would be about 120.00.

Thanks. I didn't think about the power required to run the switch itself. Seems like there's got to be something controlled by wifi that would just close a circuit to turn the thermo on. I hate to spend $120 just for this ability. That would pay for a lot of pellets, I might as well just keep it running full time.

will the Honywell WIFI Tstat work on a 2 wire system? I have a Quadra fire Castile insert with just a regular Lux on/off tstat that has 2 wires going into it. Next to that tsat i have my house tstat that has the third wire behind it that is not hooked to anything.

Wemo Maker might be an option for you.

372.jpg 372.jpg

Wemo is a good place to start. I have an automated house in which lighting, security, etc., are all controllable, and the Santa Fe in the office fireplace is now connected to the central system. I use a Nest to read temps and send data to the system, largely because it is easy for my wife or guests to use as an interface. But all of this is much more than you wish to spend based on your earlier posts.

So check out Wemo, which I turn to for simple automation at my inlaws' house. You really just need to close a 24 volt circuit on most pellet stoves to get what you are after. What you are looking for is a simple relay, NOT a switch that passes 120v out to the load.

Last edited:
You can really push Wemo if you use Automation Manager AKA WemoManager versus the Belkin app.

I drive over 120 Wemos with it at multiple locations. The rule flexibility alone is almost incomparable off the shelf.

Wemo is a good place to start. I have an automated house in which lighting, security, etc., are all controllable, and the Santa Fe in the office fireplace is now connected to the central system. I use a Nest to read temps and send data to the system, largely because it is easy for my wife or guests to use as an interface. But all of this is much more than you wish to spend based on your earlier posts.

So check out Wemo, which I turn to for simple automation at my inlaws' house. You really just need to close a 24 volt circuit on most pellet stoves to get what you are after. What you are looking for is a simple relay, NOT a switch that passes 120v out to the load.

will the Honywell WIFI Tstat work on a 2 wire system? I have a Quadra fire Castile insert with just a regular Lux on/off tstat that has 2 wires going into it. Next to that tsat i have my house tstat that has the third wire behind it that is not hooked to anything.

I just put a Radio Thermostat (wi-fi) in our garage loft and now we can control that space from our work places. Replaced the Lux. We used leave the stove off and just turn it on if we plan to use that space after we come home from work. Now we come home to a warm room! Great iPhone app and the thermostat can also be controlled via PC. I also have a Castille (2 wire system) and the thermostat has to have mini-watt output....this one does! I also needed to purchase an AC/DC converter to power the unit so it can "talk" with my home network and connect to the internet. Spent around $130 for everything and very, very pleased. We will use the space more often and also not have to heat the room when we are NOT using it. If this continues well, I will also put one on the other Castille we also have running in the house. Software will give you stats on how long you ran the stoves so you can see and now better control your pellet usage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.