Wifi Pellet stove install into existing wood stove room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

njk4o5

Jan 10, 2017
Naples Maine
Hey guys,

I am considering installing a pellet stove in place of the wood stove in my vacation home in Maine. I'm sick of waking up in the morning or coming back from a day of snowmobiling and the house is 40degrees. We do not leave the house heated when we are not there. Its a 1600sqft home with a loft and large open ceiling area so I figure we need about 60,000 bTU.

I found a nice used Enviro M55 stove that looks like it will be perfect for the job and its local on craiglist. I currently have either 6" or 8" double wall wood stove pipe going up past the second story of the home through a chimney. Can I use this existing pipe and just get an adapter?

My plan is to install this pellet stove to the existing pipe if possible and use a Nest or similar thermostat to control it. So when I leave Boston on Friday my house is warm by the time I get there 3 hours later.

I will have to get more info/pics on the current setup as I don't know the brand woodstove that's there but its huge. It heats the house from 20-60degrees in about 2 hours.

Thanks!

I will have to get more info/pics on the current setup as I don't know the brand woodstove that's there but its huge. It heats the house from 20-60degrees in about 2 hours.
Welcome to the forum! You won't get that kind of heat up with a pellet stove ... think tortoise and hare. The pellet stove being the tortoise;) Do you have year-round wifi/internet at the home? You would also have to confirm that the Enviro M55 would be compatible for use with a Nest/similar thermostat and calculate earliest turn on time based on hopper size/lbs per hour used based on heat level. From the manual, a millivolt thermostat is used with the Enviro. Search the forum as I know there are work arounds...

With a pellet stove, there is a big difference in sound as you will have fans constantly running, auger motor and, with the Enviro M55, an agitator. My stove is actually quieter than our old forced air system but it is a steady sound vs. intermittent with the old system. Becomes "white" noise after a while.

The usual installation for an Enviro M55 is 4" double wall bio-fuel venting (since it is a multi-fuel and corn is more caustic than pellets). I know some stoves have been installed with the adapter but it might be best to contact Sherwood Industries directly with the specifics of your intended install. One of the forum members that has done this may add their experience ... mine is a 3' horizontal install so no comparison. It is also recommended that you install the unit with an Outside Air Kit (OAK) based on air seal on the house. The OAK uses outside air rather than preheated interior air for combustion so you will get a slightly faster warm up on interior air and less drafts as it will not force air to be pulled in along windows and doors to make up for the air used and sent out the venting. Where is the current wood stove installed (near a wall/ centre of the room)?

The existing installation ... is it in an appropriate chase to maintain clearance to combustibles and supported with ceiling support box? May want to confirm that it was appropriately installed and inspected by the local building official. How tall is the existing chimney, where would you transition to the existing chimney from the pellet venting, what is the remainder of existing chimney to the cap from that transition? Don't forget to add a clean-out T near the stove so that the venting can be brushed/cleaned as required.

Manual so you can see the usual install procedures, how it runs, how it needs to be maintained...
http://www.enviro.com/images/manual...Instruction M55-FS Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

Keep us posted...