Wifi Thermostat to work with Iphone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikespirito

Oct 2, 2013
Coventry RI
What do you guys reccomend for a wireless thermostat that can connect to my Pellet Stove

I've been using a 3M-50 that I'm really happy with. However, it's not hooked up to my pellet stove. I see no reason why it wouldn't work though.

I plan on hooking up another to my pellet stove soon.

I've been using a 3M-50 that I'm really happy with. However, it's not hooked up to my pellet stove. I see no reason why it wouldn't work though.

I plan on hooking up another to my pellet stove soon.
Does this require a power source for the wi-fi in addition to the AA batteries in the unit?

Does this require a power source for the wi-fi in addition to the AA batteries in the unit?

From its instruction manual.

"The 3M-50 runs on 3 AA alkaline batteries and/or the C wire if available. If you do
not have a C wire you can run a new wire from the HVAC or use a standard 12-24V [AC or DC] wall
transformer. A constant power source is required when using a radio module."

So if you want to run the Wifi you need a constant (non-battery) power source.

I think any wifi thermostat will require constant power. Otherwise it would kill the batteries too fast.

I use a Nest on our heat pump and it's great. For pellet stove, I think it depends more on whether it's designed to work with a normal thermostat (in which any of Nest, 3M, Honeywell, Ecobee, etc., wifi models should work) or uses a proprietary signaling / control protocol (like my Quad Mt Vernon AE), which means no regular stat, wifi or not, will work. I also have an old Whitfield Quest that won't take a stat at all. So depends much more on the particular stove than the stat.

If you pay $20 a year you can log your data with the 3m50, or any T stat that is compatible with the 3m platform. Here is an example ScreenShot001.jpg

Take a look at the Venstar T5800 with the Skyport key.

I didn't have a power source so I ran one up from my furnace. It was there, just not wired.

The honeywell stat I use not only gives me remote access via smartphone, website or pad, but allows to me to add battery powered small remote temp sensors anywhere in my house. I link them to the thermostat (no wires needed) and tell the stat to average the temps from all of the sensors and the stat itself. That way I am not basing the house temp on just one thermostats reading.

This is the sensor http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Accessories/Indoor+Temperature+Sensor/C7189R1004.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: mralias
The honeywell stat I use not only gives me remote access via smartphone, website or pad, but allows to me to add battery powered small remote temp sensors anywhere in my house. I link them to the thermostat (no wires needed) and tell the stat to average the temps from all of the sensors and the stat itself. That way I am not basing the house temp on just one thermostats reading.

This is the sensor http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Accessories/Indoor+Temperature+Sensor/C7189R1004.htm

Are you able to view the individual temps as well? What about humidity? Sounds like a great feature.

Hello

You can also control your stove with any smartphone using the WiFi Ecobee EB-Stat-02 which is millivolt compatable with the optional AC adapter for $20
I like the additional remote module which allows you to plug in more sensors such as flood sensors for the basement or indoor/outdoor temp sensors. :)

Also has a 3 year warranty.

Are you able to view the individual temps as well? What about humidity? Sounds like a great feature.

Good question. The remote sensors also relay humidity data to the thermostat for averaging, but I have not seen the ability to view each remote sensors data individually on any of the interfaces I use (thermostat, remote handheld control, smartphone, internet and pad).

Once I linked the sensors up and mounted them I have really forgotten about them. The thermostats I use are pretty smart with the averaging and intelligent recovery based upon it learning how long it takes to heat/cool your home dependent upon outdoor temps.

My Honeywell thermostat was just delivered yesterday. I am looking forward to getting it installed tomorrow.

Good question. The remote sensors also relay humidity data to the thermostat for averaging, but I have not seen the ability to view each remote sensors data individually on any of the interfaces I use (thermostat, remote handheld control, smartphone, internet and pad).

Once I linked the sensors up and mounted them I have really forgotten about them. The thermostats I use are pretty smart with the averaging and intelligent recovery based upon it learning how long it takes to heat/cool your home dependent upon outdoor temps.
Thanks for the reply. Will definitely check into these in future.

Thanks for the reply. Will definitely check into these in future.
I just finished installing the Honeywell Prestige IAQ. It took about 1 hour to install. So far it is pretty slick.

Reactions: RCCARPS

This is the sensor http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Accessories/Indoor Temperature Sensor/C7189R1004.htm

I have a harman p43. Does this honeywell have to be hardwired to the sensor probe or does it have a a separate transmitter unit like the SkyTech's do?
Also which model is the honeywell?
Sam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.