Wild Mushrooms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.n.f.

Dec 14, 2007
Nelson BC
Well the wife and I took a wild mushroom course on the weekend which included a field trip to the woods for some identification.

Got some oyster mushrooms, a few pine, and some lobster mushrooms. Fried them up with garlic and butter and ate them with French bread and bottle of champagne. Not bad. Might move a cottonwood log into the yard in hopes of getting some oyster mushrooms as they seem to grow like crazy on cottonwood.

Too late in the year (early frosts). But in the spring we will be shrooming. Looking for the easy ones. Figure it is best to stick to two to four that are common and easily identifiable. A mistake can be deadly.

Anyways, it was fun and good to forage. Hope next year when I am cutting, the wife can be finding some food other than huckelberries when we are in the woods.

My mother and father have been doing this for years. Growing up I thought they were weird now you realize how expensive they are if you were to try to buy them. And they got some nice walks in the woods.

Morels and Hen-of-the-woods are pretty common around my part of the world. I usually get many pounds in the spring time. The morels on top of a porter house steak can't be beat. The h of the w are great when slowly simmered in a beef broth. Then add some fresh herbage at the very end. Yummmy!

Hagic Meat said:
no pix=not real, surre u aint trippings?

Chuckle.

If I ever get a new digital camera I will post some pics of things. My old one is a p.o.s. and shuts down after one or two pics if it even turns on at all.

Chanterelles are one of my favorites that I learned you to 'hunt' back in the 90s. I don't get as much time to hit the woods and find them anymore but I do not think I can mistake them, especially that musty, dirty, apricot smell that the exude when you handle them and wipe them clean. I am looking to get in with the local mycology group here for some walks and education so thanks for the push...

The good thing that you said was that there ARE a few fungi that are easily identifiable and you can stick with those for now...

Kinda like them Simple Simon ones myself. Got a cow farm down the road a ways, they grow all over the place down there, guy that owns the place lets me have all I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.