WildKat Grapple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
Got a new toy for my new toy! I've been wanting a grapple bucket since I first saw one four or five years ago. I was going to build one but all my loaders were either too small or big to be working in the woods. But now that my Brother and I bought a skidsteer I just had to have one. While looking at pictures trying to figure out how I wanted to build one I found some reviews on TractorByNet. Of a WildKat grapple bucket. Even their econo bucket was very well built. And only $1050 and $188 for shipping. So I ordered one up and it came in last nite. And I got to play with it for a hour or so today. And it sure is handy!

It opens up to 36" and all the tines are 1/2" steel plate.

380408_2214149688215_1681757389_1515154_571871523_n.jpg

380408_2214149728216_1681757389_1515155_1933133921_n.jpg

No problem lifting and moving logs around now.

379551_2214127007648_1681757389_1515140_394191423_n.jpg

Even grabbing it one end so I can hold it off the ground and cut it up.

380408_2214149848219_1681757389_1515157_1762899980_n.jpg

Then I grabbed some 30" popple rounds and moved them to the splitting pile.

380408_2214149888220_1681757389_1515158_1612031038_n.jpg

Then on to picking up brush and moving it to the burn pile.

380408_2214149928221_1681757389_1515159_222633756_n.jpg

409448_2214170008723_1681757389_1515162_1891141439_n.jpg

409448_2214170048724_1681757389_1515163_926008584_n.jpg

This is the biggest log I moved. A good sized willow trunk. Clamped it down and lifted it no problem.

409448_2214170088725_1681757389_1515164_748096930_n.jpg

409448_2214170168727_1681757389_1515165_918989778_n.jpg

I still have to get to the JD dealer and see if I can get the foot pedals changed over to hand controls. Trying to run the bucket with foot controls is just awkward and jerky. While I am sure I would get better with them I just don't see me being able to get the smooth action I can with hand controls. But it can sure clean up a mess fast. And I am really looking forward to getting all the brush and logs cleaned up on the trails I made at the farm.

Billy

That's exactly what I want someday.

Absolutely love it. Wish I had a toy like that.

Thanks Thistle

It was harder than I thought it would be to get a full bucket of branches. But even the 1/2 buckets beat picking them up by hand.

Thanks ChocoLab

At the price I got it for I don't think I could have built it for less.

Billy

I always found it easier to grab brush by flipping the bucket forward/down and grabbing it rather than driving forward into it. If the bucket is only partially filled then drive up to some more brush, drop what is in the bucket on top of it, and grab again. I used to run something pretty similar on the farm and it seems like all I did for a year was clean fencelines...and it never got old!

Keep and eye out for a set of tracks that go over the tires....they are unstoppable when tracked up.

Very nice Billy, we all need equipment like that.

zap

Congrats. The Wildcat product line is very impressive. I visited the factory and was blown away by the sheer heft of the stuff.
For the money and quality, I thought it was great value.
I left with a stump bucket/grapplecomboe.
Love the tool.

That's awesome! I like how you can hold one end of the log to cut off the ground.

You can't beat that price on a grapple Billy, It will make life a lot easier for you, enjoy it. One of these days I want to order a stump bucket from them. WildKat has the best price I have found on them to.

HI Jeff

They are on the want list. And with how much it sinks in the ground here I believe tracks will be on the need list for the farm.

Howdy Lukem

Thanks for the great tip! I tried it with the bucket in a few different positions and just could not get more than a 1/2 bucket. I'll be trying it your way next time. And I will be looking for tracks.

Thanks Zap

It sure makes it nice to have the right equipment. I'd love to see ya with a 40-50 hp 4x4 tractor w/FEL.

Cool Brogan

I've been looking at them for a long time. Ones that are a lot flimsyer are 4-5 hundred more and ones that good are almost twice the price. I'm glad to hear you love yours. I was thinking of getting one of those instead. But I may just add a tine between the ones I have so I can screen the rocks out of my fields.

Hi Aroth

I saw a Utube video of someone doing that and I just had to try it.

Howdy Wetwood

No doubt about it! I am very happy with it and would buy from them again!

Billy

Probably have a lot of sand up there? Tracks will be a necessity. And I'm with you on the foot controls. Done a lot of digging with a 100,000lb excavator, but coordinating both hands AND both feet is something beyond my abilities.

That is sweet Billy!

I've got a Blue Diamond grapple like that for my loader. There are so many uses for a grapple. After you've had it awhile you'll be wizard with it. You'd never guess but they level dirt like a dream and prep it for seed at the same time.

Nice Rig.

A very nice toy indeed. At this point I would personally be happy with a truck that could pull a skid steer around easily:)

Hey Cowboy, very nice indeedy!!! Glad you joined the club! Grapples shed a whole new light on alot of things we used to do the hard way. Mine is on my tractor more than any other implement.

Jeff

It goes from rock at the west to silt and clay at the east. Since the water can't go through the rock it all runs off the top or just under the surface and its only dry enough to work on most places a few months in the summer. I do have about 10 ares of good gravel I am starting to make my trails with it. I am pretty much on or off with foot pedals not much for feathering. I love running excavators too I've got well over 6000 hrs seat time. Ran a 375 cat for two years digging landfill cells. Hope I can get a good job this year.

Thanks Dennis

Other than the foot controls its a great setup. I wish I had a truck big enough to pull it with my little V-6 F 150 would have a stroke trying to move it. How far are you from Howell MI? I am going to be there Feb 14th and 16th taking my Hazmat and Mine Safety fresher classes. They usually get out 3:30 to 4:00 pm. It would be great to come out and cut with you for a few hours if the weather is decent.

Sounds great Lee

I am thinking of welding in another tine between the ones I have and seeing how well it works picking rocks out of my fields.

Thanks Bubba

Hi Avc

I haven't yet but I am not sure how well it will work with how wide the tines are right now.

Hi Mark

I would too. I had to borrow a truck to pick it up with.

Hi Bill

Thanks. Yours is the first one I had ever seen and I knew I had to have one. It just took me a long time to find the right machine to put one on!

Billy

Billy, that's all sorts of awesome! That price is fantastic, especially since I have been looking at John Deere snow plows for danged riding mowers and they cost a heck of a lot more than that!

I wonder why my dad doesn't have one of these. I need to get on that, methinks!

Danno77 said:
Billy, that's all sorts of awesome! That price is fantastic, especially since I have been looking at John Deere snow plows for danged riding mowers and they cost a heck of a lot more than that!

I wonder why my dad doesn't have one of these. I need to get on that, methinks!

"..... When you do it eeeee baaayyyy!" Aren't glad I typed that? ;-)

Plows are plentiful and usually cheap. Much easier than snowblowers, of which I have 3 of right now. Crazy.

Billy, I know we generallytalk wood around here, but, in my other life ... how is it at de-rocking and grubbing?? If the ground is loosened (moldboard plow) can you push through say 8" deep filtering out rocks?

Jimbo

Thanks Danno

I hope ya get him setup! With as little as I have used mine I love it!

Thanks Allen

Not yet but I am planing on it. Pat in the woodshed form is giving me tips on how to sell my logs after I cut them.

HI Jimbo

I haven't tried it but I would think the ground would have to be loose and dry so when you picked the bucket up the dirt would fall through it leaving just the rocks in the bucket. They do make rock buckets ya can google them and see the difference. Which just looks like more and thinner tines.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.