Wildlife munching on tree top I fell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I was going to cut & haul the logs from the tree behind the moose.
But it looks like he's eating the branch tips.
I'll let him prune it for me. Too cold anyway. Never one this close during moose season. :)
100_4240.jpg

When they lay their ears back, your getting too close! Time to leave him alone.

Attachments

• 100_4231.jpg
    100_4231.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_4238.jpg
    100_4238.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 496
Awesome, not much more I can say.Very cool , thanks for sharing that pic/

+2 Awesome!

Shari

Wow Dave thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over new years I made 3/4 mile of 12' trail around my property in Michigan's UP. I thought I had enough cedar down to feed the deer all winter. I went up two weeks ago and they had eaten all the leafs off of everything on the ground. I need to get back up and cut the hung up trees off of the stumps and pull them down so the deer can eat them too. Looks like it will be a lot easier the cut the branches off after the leaves are gone too. The bad news is that the wolves trapped and killed a deer and aginst one of the brush piles within 200 yards of the trailer. They ate everything except for some fur.

Billy

Great pictures Dave. Thanks a lot for taking them and posting them. Wildlife pictures are always some of the very best.

Here are a few pictures I took some time ago. I had been cutting soft maple in one area and there were no deer tracks when I cut the trees. The next morning though, this is what we found. Sadly, the pictures don't do it justice. It looked like a barnyard that had been full of cows. You can even see where some of the deer beds were.

ByBeech-3.gif

ByBeech-4.gif

Bybeech-5.gif

Bybeech-6.gif

I've only seen one of those once .
Surprised I didn't break my ankle on the brake pedal.
Amazing how much ground they can cover taking just a couple steps.

Wow, just wow.
We have Elk around here, and this area is considerd the elk capitol of I guess Michigan if not the whole world.
The only ones I've seen are on the buck pole in town. Most are 6x6 or more and around 700lbs. Aren't moose bigger?
He doesn't look happy in the pic with the ears back!
Run away, run away.

PapaDave said:
Wow, just wow.
We have Elk around here, and this area is considerd the elk capitol of I guess Michigan if not the whole world.
The only ones I've seen are on the buck pole in town. Most are 6x6 or more and around 700lbs. Aren't moose bigger?
Run away, run away.

"Aren't moose bigger?"
A large mature bull can weigh 1600 lbs average. Some records size ones are even larger. 10 feet from ground to top of ears.

Attachments

• Alaska Moose Hunt_Sept 2009 GN.jpg
    Alaska Moose Hunt_Sept 2009 GN.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 355
Those are magnificent animals. I understand they can be quite dangerous, especially during the rut.

bogydave said:
PapaDave said:
Wow, just wow.
Run away, run away.

"Aren't moose bigger?"
A large mature bull can weigh 1600 lbs average. Some records size ones are even larger. 10 feet from ground to top of ears.

Answers THAT question, eh? That's huge.
I learn such interesting things on here.

Who killed Bullwinkle?

Status
Not open for further replies.