WildThing Club

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Hello. My name is Wahoowad and I own a WildThing.
<chorus of fellow addicts>: Hello Wahoowad!

I'm a proud WildThing owner. OK, actually I'm somewhat embarrassed when I admit it in company of serious woodsmen but I can't deny this saw keeps getting it done for me. I wish it would die so I can get "a real saw" but it just keeps cutting no matter what foolish things I do with it.

I think it is 11 years old. I ported the exhaust last year to see what, if any, tiny power gain I would get. I can't tell the difference - it just keeps cutting. I thought upsetting the combustion balance might burn out the engine, but nope. I do all kinds of silly homeowner things with my homeowner saw like binding the bar in a tree - I just yank and twist and yank and eventually it comes out. Feels like I'm gonna destroy something everytime, but nope. The storage case pops open sometimes when I'm carrying it and the whole saw crashes heavily to the ground. I keep thinking something surely has broken each time that happens, but nope. Backed over the damn thing last week with my truck. I really thought I had done it then, but nope.

It starts easy, idles perfectly. It has never needed any service. I think I've changed the spark plug once and cleaned the filter once. It's kinda crazy.

My neighbor has one, its not as fast or as powerfull as my still but the chain is thinner to help it out if I remember right. OK saw for trimming overhead, etc...

What is a "real " saw anyway? if the definition is one that does what you ask of it, when you ask... then it sounds like you have a REAL saw already. The heck with anyone who looks down on you cause you dont have a H***** bla bla or a S****Bla Bla. I use a tiny Stihl ms180 with easy start. Its light and a breeze to start compared to my fathers 310. I am in no rush and I can cut with this all day without fatigue, which I couldn't do with a bigger "mannlier" saw. If you want, paint the old Wild thing up with one of the "big" brands logos. Bottom line is, this aint no stinking fashion show, Cuttin, Buckin' and stackin'. dont really matter what brand tools ya use as long as they work.

I have to confess to owning a Poulan Wood Shark 14" saw. Someday I plan on saving up and moving up to a Wild Thing.

Gently used WildThing for sale. Free shipping to Virginia.

Huh...I dunno, I hear all this talk about modifying exhaust and this and that...but I've been cutting 20+cords a year at half throttle. Is it me or them?

I still own my second or third poulan wild thing, woodshark, or whatever it is. Same deal, very reliable saw that has taken a few major wallops like being windrowed by a bulldozer. I found it two weeks later, dug it out, cleaned it up, straightened the bar, and still run it. I've had to "field repair" the rope after it broke near the engine. No big deal, now it has a bit shorter rope.

I do frequently clean the air filter and it makes a nice difference. Like every 10th tankful.

I've smashed the handle with a log so I went to my scrap pile and fashioned a steel square bar into a handle. It vibrates a bit but keeps working.

Pssst- Wahoo - Don't tell anyone, but for years I cut every stick of firewood I burned with a Homelite 240. Still runs great. A wildthing would have been a welcome upgrade. :red:

For no apparent reason, every once in a while you will run across some homeowner version of a tool that simply gets the job done and works for years. Don't knock it.

Doesn't mean ya can't get a bigger saw for bucking.

Adios Pantalones said:
No need to feel ashamed guys- you could be one of the dudes posting about your Husky problems- LOL

Now thats funny. I pretty much use the Stihl 361 for everything now. The old 240 is lighter, but the 361 cuts faster, so its a trade off.

My 42cc Craftsman is nicknamed "Frankenstien" This saw was given to me 5 years ago after my neighbor bought a STIHL 025.
I've tried to kill it, I patched it together many times. It's cut many cords over the years and hacked its way through grapple loads.
But the saw lives a lonley life in it's case....... in my shed with green eyes of envy .....of a shiny red Dolmar 5100s

WoodButcher

i had a Chevette that was like that! Beat the living crap out of it and it just kept coming back for more...

At least when it finally dies and you buy that shiny NEW saw, you can appreciate the difference! :)

I'm seeing that thread on the Husky and biting my tongue. I don't want to add insult to injury (buy the Stihl)!

Chris

Adios Pantalones said:
No need to feel ashamed guys- you could be one of the dudes posting about your Husky problems- LOL

That's such a good laugh right there. Made my night.

Status
Not open for further replies.