Will a 20" bar get through...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2010
Central, NJ
a 36" trunk? There is some ash calling my name but not sure I have access to the required tools.

Sure it will. It will take some rather precision cuts. Just be safe and think it out first.

Hey Cyg. That saw will definately do the trick..if ya need a hand let me know. I can bring my saw and we could tear thru it, good luck.

It helps to have lots of juice behind that 20" bar. Just today I was cutting an Ash, about the same size with my old trusty 044, (70cc) and 20" bar. It seemed a little lame. so I broke out the old (30+yrs) 045 with 75cc/24". But it may have just been a slight sharpening difference. Go for it!

Only one way to find out- fire her up and go at it! Should be just fine

sure you can, just get a good sharp chain and away you go. best of luck with the tree

Thanks everyone. The plan will involve a 20" HD Makita rental :( so I'll be sure sharpen it up. Trying to help a neighbor save a few hundred bucks by cleaning one 36" x 20' Irene remnant.

Thanks for the offer Joey but probably not worth the trip to Essex Cty. I'll call you next time for the big score.

Sounds good. Thought ya might be a bit closer to me,,,,,good luck.

Here is a 37 inch cherry tree at the base I cut back in early spring with my 20 inch bar.

Attachments

• IMG_3909-1.jpg
    IMG_3909-1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_3913-1.jpg
    IMG_3913-1.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 622
Cyg, just think it through and move carefully. And keep your chain sharp.

I marked the trunk on this log to plan my cuts and let the saw do the work. It is 6' long and in the fattest section just over 40". My MS261 with a 20" bar was at the edge of its capabilities, but I let it pick the pace and it came through. I had to brake out the sledge and wedges to bust one cut apart since the bar was just too short. Then I had to quarter each cookie up.

Good luck and be safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 522
Pull the trigger! :cheese:

Attachments

• oak10.jpg
    oak10.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 469
So when you have a 20" bar does that mean 20 inches beyond the face of the powerhead? Do the dawgs subtract from that? I've never actually measured.

Highbeam said:
So when you have a 20" bar does that mean 20 inches beyond the face of the powerhead? Do the dawgs subtract from that? I've never actually measured.

Yes - the dawgs. I prefer bump strips to dawgs when bucking for that reason and the big dawgs seem to slow you down bucking as well. Felling is the opposite.

Most of the trees we've been cutting the last several years are much larger than our bar length. I just go ahead and cut them anyway. No problem. Where it gets interesting is when you have a 48" bar and it goes only half way through the log.

Backwoods Savage said:
Most of the trees we've been cutting the last several years are much larger than our bar length. I just go ahead and cut them anyway. No problem. Where it gets interesting is when you have a 48" bar and it goes only half way through the log.
Dennis, You gotta post pictures of that one. Yikes! Is that a typo? I thought this was a big one

Attachments

• big wood_2.jpg
    big wood_2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 361
Not a typo Steve but I only did it a few times. I left most of the big stuff to bigger guys. Lugging those saws around gets old fast. It's about like when I was a young lad and the saw we had was the old gear driven saw. Dang those things were heavy.

Highbeam said:

Highbeam, I'd say yes a 20 inch bar will cut 20 inches. This opinion is based on the 18 inch mark I have on my saw, measured from the tip back right at the base of the power head. Also have a 24 inch mark on the power head. This is my way of keeping the 18 inch rounds a real 18.

Dennis , Steve you guys are over the top. I have to remember that "the saw is to heavy" I bet it is, but what do the rounds weigh. I have seen that stuff out west in Oregon. They use big equipment to move it.

When you cut something that big, you need some heavy machinery to move it.

I'd have liked to cut this one down.

Dennybybigredwood.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:

Dang Dennis, That thing is so big it looks fake. Are those things actually harvested for lumber?

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dang Dennis, That thing is so big it looks fake. Are those things actually harvested for lumber?

They used to be.... Pretty much all Redwood cut now is plantation stuff,2nd or 3rd growth even.

Oakzilla...it is still standing....all 60" DBH of it. Can't talk the home owner into letting it go...and I don't have a saw that would touch it. That's a 20" bar on my saw pictured. I had to cut a couple of the limbs from both sides to get all the way thru.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 163
lukem said:
Oakzilla...it is still standing....all 60" DBH of it. Can't talk the home owner into letting it go...and I don't have a saw that would touch it. That's a 20" bar on my saw pictured. I had to cut a couple of the limbs from both sides to get all the way thru.

After tackling this guerrilla at just over 50 inch red oak, not so Egor to get another!

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 171
In all honesty, I want nothing to do with it. I have enough wood I don't need to wear myself out wrestling something that big. I'm still finishing up a couple cord of the limbs, and they are too gd heavy.

lukem said:
In all honesty, I want nothing to do with it. I have enough wood I don't need to wear myself out wrestling something that big. I'm still finishing up a couple cord of the limbs, and they are too gd heavy.

I can say been there done that, wore out the t-shirt use it was the car and threw it in the trash can! :lol: Be nice if it was on my lawn and one milling pass a mont would be fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.