Will a corn stove work for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SplittingLogs

Nov 20, 2015
Wisconsin
Hey all, I'm a complete novice, but have found what appears to be a good used corn stove at a good price that I'd like to buy and install in my home. Unfortunately I don't own this old farmhouse, so I can't really go cutting holes in the exterior wall for the exhaust and intake. Rather, I'd like to install it in the middle of the house, connecting to the old chimney (which is otherwise not in use and has an access in the family room). Since it's not on an exterior wall, I would need to run the fresh air intake pipe down into the basement, through the rafters, and out an old dryer vent. I've read that this is doable using straight pipe (as opposed to flexible tubing) and particularly if you expand the size of the pipe to allow for more air movement. Does this make sense and am I on the right track, or am I putting the lives of my beautiful little family in danger? (Only half-kidding...) If somebody could respond with a few thoughts ASAP, I would appreciate it. I'm supposed to meet the seller tonight, but would like a second opinion before finalizing the deal. Thank you!

A corn stove really doesn't mean much unless you can tell what kind it is or the model. Lots of pellet stoves will burn a blend and get away with it but a true corn stove will burn 100% corn. Some people claim you shouldn't burn corn and pipe the exh into a brick chimney unless it is lined because the exh has acid from the corn. That can be argued about. I have a 8X 10 clay lined chimney and and been burning corn for 10 years without a problem.
The natural draft of a tall chimney could cause problems but most stoves can be adjusted via the exh fan to make it run decent.

Reactions: FirepotPete
A corn stove really doesn't mean much unless you can tell what kind it is or the model. Lots of pellet stoves will burn a blend and get away with it but a true corn stove will burn 100% corn. Some people claim you shouldn't burn corn and pipe the exh into a brick chimney unless it is lined because the exh has acid from the corn. That can be argued about. I have a 8X 10 clay lined chimney and and been burning corn for 10 years without a problem.
The natural draft of a tall chimney could cause problems but most stoves can be adjusted via the exh fan to make it run decent.

Yup, need to know what type of stove it is. As far as the chimney goes I agree with rona, but the problem is that insurance companies may not. Depending on the stove it may need a pelvent type of pipe to be covered by insurance. It should state in the owners manual. If you don't have one you can usually find it online.

Thanks guys! It's a NorthStar CS550. I'm reading through the manual now. It only gives instructions for venting straight outside, nothing about connecting to an existing chimney. Is it therefore implied that you can't use a chimney? A few mentions in the manual that make me think I'd be okay are: "Do not connect to a chimney flue that is serving another appliance" (I'm not); "Must be at least three feet of vertical pipe" (it is); and never exceed 20 feet of equivalent pipe length" (may be close, but I don't think they'd make this comment if they weren't considering a full chimney). Again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Hey! By way of an update, After reading the manual, I've decided I'm uncomfortable with my original chimney idea. I'm going to remove a window (which I'll be able to put back in later, thus not structurally altering the house), replace it with plywood and insulation, and vent it directly outside as shown in the manual. Redneck? Yes. But I'm looking forward to being warm this winter!! :)

Reactions: FirepotPete
Hey! By way of an update, After reading the manual, I've decided I'm uncomfortable with my original chimney idea. I'm going to remove a window (which I'll be able to put back in later, thus not structurally altering the house), replace it with plywood and insulation, and vent it directly outside as shown in the manual. Redneck? Yes. But I'm looking forward to being warm this winter!! :)

Probably your safest bet. And not having to pay for the extra pelvent to go all the way up a chimney will save you some big bucks. And "redneck"? Maybe, but you'll be a nice warm redneck!

Status
Not open for further replies.