Will a fan help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunker Down

Sep 4, 2014
Long Island
I have some hard wood that is not truly seasoned, MM between 22-26%. I re split most of it to expose it a little more ihave no choice to burn it. So i supplement with dimensional wood and i try to bring enough innfir a few days next to the stove. i also have a small amount in my garage that i put a fan on, do you think it will help? Or am I just waiting my time! Wet wood is a real pain!

I've heard the fan trick working but over a longer period of time, not just a few days. I would try to put as much next to the stove, or at least in the same room, as possible. 22% isn't all that bad.

I dry splits in front of the stove near the glass if I'm in the room with the stove. You can dry 3-4 splits as one load is burning.
Its inside of the 18" to combustibles rule.
As a reminder. 20150105_181748.jpg

Love the pic of your cat Applesister.

That is some nice wood, and great cat! Thank you for advice.

I've heard the fan trick working but over a longer period of time, not just a few days. I would try to put as much next to the stove, or at least in the same room, as possible. 22% isn't all that bad.

I like to warm my wood. I may have stacked this a little close, thanks for the reminder.

Attachments

• DSCF0113.JPG
    DSCF0113.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: claydogg84
i also have a small amount in my garage that i put a fan on, do you think it will help?
If the moving air is successful in drying the wood then the wet air needs somewhere to go and needs to be replaced by some dry air that is warmed somewhat at least. A small dehumidifier that doesn't ice up in a cool garage would help a lot.

Also the drying wood will cool the air flowing through it, and the cooler air wants to fall away from the wood, so it would help to have the fan blowing down on the pile from up higher, like a stepladder maybe. Ideally you'd stack the wood up off the floor two feet or more.

If the moving air is successful in drying the wood then the wet air needs somewhere to go and needs to be replaced by some dry air that is warmed somewhat at least. A small dehumidifier that doesn't ice up in a cool garage would help a lot.

Also the drying wood will cool the air flowing through it, and the cooler air wants to fall away from the wood, so it would help to have the fan blowing down on the pile from up higher, like a stepladder maybe. Ideally you'd stack the wood up off the floor two feet or more.

That is great info. thank you!

I don't think a fan is going to do anything but increase your LIPA bill unless the wood is at temperatures above freezing and even then, a cold breeze won't move much moisture. Stacking by the stove is a better solution, IMO.

Stacking by the stove is a better solution, IMO.

And a fan blowing on your stack by the stove even better! Hey, if you're pulling moisture out of the wood, you're putting it into the air- like a really inefficient humidifier.

Reactions: bearverine
Yes. I've tested this numerous times this season with just my normal summer fan running in the basement, since a lot of my wood has frozen together.

The difference is astonishing.

Stack them close to the fire, run a fan, use as needed.

I have some hard wood that is not truly seasoned, MM between 22-26%. I re split most of it to expose it a little more ihave no choice to burn it. So i supplement with dimensional wood and i try to bring enough innfir a few days next to the stove. i also have a small amount in my garage that i put a fan on, do you think it will help? Or am I just waiting my time! Wet wood is a real pain!

Moving air is always better than still air, so of course it will help. Will it help enough to notice? Who knows, but, I doubt it. Also, because you have no control group there's really no way to know regardless.

Yes. I've tested this numerous times this season with just my normal summer fan running in the basement, since a lot of my wood has frozen together.

The difference is astonishing.

Stack them close to the fire, run a fan, use as needed.
Thank you for info and reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.