Will a Morso 1125 fit my home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoyt

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Boston area
Thanks in advance. I just found this site. What a resource! I come to you as a noob, with no wood stove experience.

I'm on the verge of buying a Morso 1125 stove. I've read a number of posts on hearth.com -- and conclude that it's a big-producing stove that will keep my home warm.

Two questions:

First, will it fit?

It is going into a stone fireplace with a stone platform in front. It's a great fireplace, in the sense that it burns beautifully. The platform is 32 inches deep, front to back. The top of the opening is 25.5 inches above the platform; the opening is 15.5 inches (so it starts 10 inches above the platform). It's 30.5 inches wide. (See the attachment.)

The seller gave these dimensions for the stove (I haven't seen it yet):

Without the legs, it measures 30” high. With the legs it’s about 42” high. The other dimensions are 26”wide and 24” deep. The top of the rear flue is at about 28-1/4” from the bottom of the (legless) stove.

So the top of the flue will be almost 3 inches higher than the top of the fireplace opening. Is that a deal-breaker? I read in another hearth.com post that the flue is 8 inches in diameter - maybe. I am imagining the exhaust being a kind of semi-circle, maybe 4 or 4.5 inches high, to fit into the chimney. Someone will have to shape metal. Is that practical? Will it be big enough, provide enough draft?

And there will only be one foot of stone platform between the front of the stove and the wooden floor. This is a hot stove. Will it be a fire hazard? Is there something I should install on the wood floor surrounding the fireplace platform?

Second: If you think the stove can be installed -- then should I be finding a professional to do the installation? The alternative are my nephews, who are hefty and handy, who have never installed a wood stove. I want the installation to be safe and effective. Do I need a pro? If so, how do I find one?

OK, that's 20 questions -- but organized into two groups!

Thanks for your advice!

- Hoyt

Attachments

• FIREPLACE.jpg
    FIREPLACE.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 480
thats alot of questions ...i would not hazard a guess of fitting posabilities by your info,it sounds like you should see the stove for yourself...for sure the one foot of cement in front of your stove would not be enough...

one thing for sure...a 42 inch stove(with legs) will not fit into a 25 inch opening ...(if i read right)

I don't think this is going to work. The Morso takes an 8" pipe and it would appear too vent to high for your opening.

What is the price of the stove?
How big is your house?

roddy said:
thats alot of questions ...i would not hazard a guess of fitting posabilities by your info,it sounds like you should see the stove for yourself...for sure the one foot of cement in front of your stove would not be enough...

The one foot is not enough. So can I lay some concrete tiles around the fireplace platform, or something?

Thanks for the help - Hoyt

roddy said:
one thing for sure...a 42 inch stove(with legs) will not fit into a 25 inch opening ...(if i read right)

Well, it's only 30 inches, without the legs, which is the plan.

roddy said:

Well, it's only 30 inches, without the legs, which is the plan.

My tenant figured out that there is a frame that can be removed, to give the required height.

What is the price of the stove? $350.
How big is your house? It's about 1600 sqft. It's a open post-and-beam design. The fireplace is in a great room that's contiguous with all the other living area.

are you suggesting putting in a stove sans legs...that wont work....

roddy said:
are you suggesting putting in a stove sans legs...that wont work....

I'm pretty sure it can be used without legs as long as the hearth meets requirements (I could be wrong). Though, even without legs, the pipe will not line up with the opening of the fireplace. Seems like a square peg trying to be shoved into a round hole in this case.

If the hearth just a shallow, plywood form with concrete poured into it, that might be a risky proposition, concrete can and will transfer heat. I think I would pass and get a proper EPA insert and take the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.