Will a new stove work with my old chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
This issue must have been covered here...but I can't find it!

I have a high quality 8" chimney, double-walled, insulation between the layers. It's a Security Chimney brand. It works great. I have great draft.

I am buying a new stove to replace the old burned-out Vermont Castings Defiant Encore. Probably buying a Englander 30-NC from Home Depot. However, I'm considering the Vogelzang Ponderosa also. Both seem to have about equal reviews.

Off subject, I noticed the Home Depot lists the Englander as a 30-NCH. Is it the same thing as the 30-NC? Seems to be.

Both of the new stoves, and actually all the stoves I've looked at, seem to have 6" pipes. Not sure if that is the newer standard or what. Can I use my 8"? Do I have to test it before I really know? I've had zero problems out of my 8" chimney, and the previous owner said he had none as well

Can I do it? I think I saw adapter from 6" to 8" online somewhere.

thanks!

H = Home Depot. Same stove.

Are you in Canada?

Although the stove manufacturers all recommend that the flue/chimney be the same diameter as the flue collar on the stove, you may well get good performance by adapting the 6" stove to the 8" flue. Lots of folks have. The problem is that you're going from a cross-sectional area of about 28 in² to about 50 in², so the flue gases are going to slow down a bunch at that transition. The more slowly the flue gases transit up to daylight, the more they cool. This might increase the tendency for creosote condensation and acculmulation in your flue/chimney.

The new stoves are designed to be ran on a 6" flue all the way up and out. You can reduce from 8" down to 6". I have ran multiple 6" stoves on an 8" chimney with 0 problems because of it.

No, I am in Colorado. I have a 6" in my basement that I'm going to remove eventually. Same brand. Same length (or maybe a little longer). Can I remove the inner pipe on the 6" and insert it into the 8" pipe, from the top down? Seems like it would be ok, and provide more protection.

No, I am in Colorado. I have a 6" in my basement that I'm going to remove eventually. Same brand. Same length (or maybe a little longer). Can I remove the inner pipe on the 6" and insert it into the 8" pipe, from the top down? Seems like it would be ok, and provide more protection.
No, the inner pipe won't come out anyway.

ah I see. That's right...i think the manual showed the insulation is sandwiched inbetween the two layers. So I should be good, if the stove operates well?

Are there any new stoves that still use 8" pipe?

Yes, a few. Blaze King- King, Hearthstone-Equinox, Dutchwest -XL cat, just to name a few.

Yes several, but they're big suckers.

Are Blaze King King models bad? I've heard mixed reviews. Don't know what they sell for either. I can't spend more than $1,600 for everything. Plus a few hundred for install help.

Are Blaze King King models bad? I've heard mixed reviews. Don't know what they sell for either. I can't spend more than $1,600 for everything. Plus a few hundred for install help.
Not at all, where did you hear otherwise?
The King Ultra is running about $3,300.

I heard it from a local hearth store that said they had lots of issues with warping, and then Blaze King not being able to respond quickly enough. Basically they had lots of peeved customers without heat, or good working stoves from the sounds of it.

I don't think you'll find a bad review on a Blaze King on this site, we all love them. Im not sure how the BK dealers are but I've called the company directly a couple of times and they've been awesome helping me.

If you can afford it, the Blaze King Ultra is an excellent large heater.

Last edited:
Can I remove the inner pipe on the 6" and insert it into the 8" pipe, from the top down? Seems like it would be ok, and provide more protection.
You could drop a 6" liner down through the 8" though...

I heard it from a local hearth store that said they had lots of issues with warping, and then Blaze King not being able to respond quickly enough. Basically they had lots of peeved customers without heat, or good working stoves from the sounds of it.
I promise you that there is more to that story! It sounds more like a dealer that had a falling out with BK.

I emailed Englander stove company and it said the 8" pipe should work fine if the chimney is well designed. So I am banking on not having to mess with it. Can I find the adaptors (6" to 8") at hardware stores like Lowes or Tractor Supply?

You could drop a 6" liner down through the 8" though...

But how would you support it at the top? You would need a custom top plate of some sort I would think.....

Would it need support? Not for safety would it? I guess it could rattle around a bit if windy, or as the heat flows up. However, I could get some of that support bracket stuff (that bends real easy), make 3 spacers to fill the gap in 3 places, and then bend a 2" portion of same over 1 or 2 spots from the new pipe to the old pipe exterior, and put a couple of screws in it.

I think what Clarkbug is referring to is how to terminate it at the top. Flex liners normally "hang" from the clamp that is built into the top plate. You would have to come up with something slightly custom at the top. I would envision something along the lines of a cap that clamps on the 6" and then sits on/around the 8"
I had some issues to work around when I lined my chimney, I talked to the guys at Chimney Liner Depot, they gave me some suggestions and modified some of my parts free of charge to make it all come together for me. Sounds like they can fab up about anything you'd ever need for a chimney liner. Very happy with my double wall Pro flex liner...

I emailed Englander stove company and it said the 8" pipe should work fine if the chimney is well designed. So I am banking on not having to mess with it. Can I find the adaptors (6" to 8") at hardware stores like Lowes or Tractor Supply?
They are easier to find for single wall pipe. Probably not for double wall pipe. Is your pipe DVL? If so the part number is 8860 for 6" to 8".

dvl increaser.JPG

They are easier to find for single wall pipe. Probably not for double wall pipe. Is your pipe DVL? If so the part number is 8860 for 6" to 8".

View attachment 113411
From what I gather my pipe is double wall. Security Chimney is the brand. HT something or other. Canadian made. I have a decorative outer liner from top of existing stove to about 6" before ceiling, then a black cap that rests on ceiling, and then the rest of pipe from there up. Think they have what I need at Lowes or local?

Wouldn't have to be. I was gonna do a rigid liner too, but I went the flex liner route 'cause the rigid liner was quite a bit more money...

From what I gather my pipe is double wall. Security Chimney is the brand. HT something or other. Canadian made. I have a decorative outer liner from top of existing stove to about 6" before ceiling, then a black cap that rests on ceiling, and then the rest of pipe from there up. Think they have what I need at Lowes or local?

Ah, that's right. I kind of doubt you are going to find this at the local big box store. Call around first or order online. That "outer liner" is not decorative. That is the Security DL connector pipe design. You want this part 6DLW8.

security.JPG

http://www.securitychimneys.com/residential/chimneys/DL/#

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.