will a pellet stove insert work in a gas designed chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lcthrower

Oct 13, 2009
Northern Vt
Hello,

I am trying to brainstorm the best ideas for my existing gas fire place. Ideally, I would like to take out the gas insert and put in a pellet stove insert...is this feasible? I understand that gas chimneys are designed soley for gas heat, however, would it work if I dropped a flue down the chimney?

Any info would greatly be appreciated!

I had taken out my gas (l.p.) fireplace and inserted my Castile. I took out the gas venting and replaced with pellet approved venting all the way up through the roof. What do you call a chimney? Is it just metal venting or an actual masonry chimney?

it is not a masonry chimney. as far as i know, the chimney was built with the sole intentions of using gas...if that means it is a metal chimney, then it is a metal chimney.

my house came with a factory built wood burning "fireplace". It could house a gas log, as well. (has knock-outs in the firebrick). Once I found that the thing throws absolutely NO heat whatsoever, (you can stand right in front of the thing with a roaring flame, and not feel any heat!), I inquired at a stove shop as to what it would take to upgrade to a real wood-burning insert, or stove, and they told me that the metal chimney that I had would not be adequate, and would have to be replaced. these types of fireplaces are known as "decorative appliances"...the fire just isn't that hot, I guess. Anyway, an appropriate chimney (25 to 30' of it) would cost "thousands" of dollars, by itself. so, imo...not practical. I eventually opted for a free-standing stove, and put it in the corner, with a typical through-the-wall pellet vent. It would have been theoretically possible to do a pellet insert in the cavity of this "fake-fireplace", but that still would have required 25-30 feet of pellet vent...much less $$ than class-a chimney, but still impractical, because I ain't gettin' up on that roof to do it. Which means, paying someone else...which means...back to "cost prohibitive".

For a 25' run it'd cost you $250 to $300 for 4" pellet venting. Depending on the design of your 'chimney' you may be able to do it from inside without getting on the roof, you could just keep feeding it up from below.

it looks like I will be able to do it with a zero clearance kit...anyone have any suggestions as to which is the best pellet stove? any ideas on the Harmon?

You can likely just replace the gas vent in the (assuming) wood framed chimney. Gas vent is called B-Vent and Pellet vent is called L vent. My stove manual specifies L vent only.
Mike -

Status
Not open for further replies.