Will a round on its side dry out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

louieva

Nov 1, 2010
Northern VA
I've got a lot of rounds of oak that were stacked up by a company that cut down two oak trees. I was planning on splitting a few rounds each day to space it out.

I moved some away from another tree today and found that they were starting to grow some white fuzzy fungus between each round and between the round and the dirt. So that's not good. I got some free wood pallets but not enough to stack everything on.

Is it ok to stand a round on its side for it to avoid this wet fungus and dry out? Or do I need to get more pallets? Or is there some other easy method to keep rounds dry before you get around to splitting them?

Thanks,
Louie

Getting up off the ground will help a lot, stacking them so there is air flow between will also help ( single rows with space between each row.. That is about all you can do for now except to just keep on splitting.

Fungus may appear on recently cut wood, but that doesn't mean the whole round is rotting through. If you are splitting and stacking a couple rounds a day, and you only have two trees to split, you'll be done in a month or two max, and the wood won't be seriously damaged in that time. I'd try to keep them off the ground as much as you can, but don't worry too much about the fungus. I usually stack rounds on their sides, and stack as high as practical to keep most of them off the ground.

There's a fungus among us?

Don't worry about the fungi . . . keep bucking and splitting and stacking . . . preferably on pallets or in some manner to get the wood up off the ground.

I have to stack in the woods sometimes and not quite sure when ( sometimes even how) I'll get back to it and I'll cut down some 15 foot tall white pines, strip the branches and use those as rails and stack rounds and or splits on to keep them off the ground. The pines grow like weeds .

Oak is notorious for having that fungus. Don't worry about it in the least. Do stack them off the ground and get them split ASAP. Good luck.

Another thought : going into Winter all that fungi growth and decomposing tends to s low down in the cold as do the bugs and worms . If you might get it all split before , say, February, I'd be inclined to spend all my time splitting and not worry about it being on the ground . Course I really do not like stacking rounds it seems like such a waste of effort.

(says the guy with a pile of pine rounds rotting away) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.