Will a Vacu-Stack Help??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Possibly having back-pressure related chimney
drafting problems from a nearby structure.
Looking for anyone out there with "testimonials"
about the effectiveness of the Accu-Stack chimney
cap...

Thanks,
Rob

I will certainly give you a tesimonial.

Had a house in WV, in the mountains, and it was quite often windy, 20-50 mph were common. The house was kinda situated on a hill, with a deep valley below. (Cacapon River). Large tree line about 100 feet behind the house, higher than the house.

When the wind would blow, the woodstove would not draw, at all. I'm talking about a smoke filled home. Friends thought the house was on fire when we had the glass doors open, with smoke pouring out of the home. Tried opening windows on the pressure side, etc, all to no avail.

Bought the Vacu-Stak out of pure desperation, and IT WORKED LIKE A CHAMP!

Problem solved. When a gust of wind would come up, the fire turned cherry red.

I don't think you will know whether this thing will work or not, in your situation, until you try it.

Cleaning it in the spring is a drag.

Today it was almost totally still outside,
and our stove drafted very well - best burn
I've seen in several weeks!! This is very confusing.
I believe my basement system has "gremlins".....

Rob

Sandor said:
I will certainly give you a tesimonial.

Had a house in WV, in the mountains, and it was quite often windy, 20-50 mph were common. The house was kinda situated on a hill, with a deep valley below. (Cacapon River). Large tree line about 100 feet behind the house, higher than the house.

When the wind would blow, the woodstove would not draw, at all. I'm talking about a smoke filled home. Friends thought the house was on fire when we had the glass doors open, with smoke pouring out of the home. Tried opening windows on the pressure side, etc, all to no avail.

Bought the Vacu-Stak out of pure desperation, and IT WORKED LIKE A CHAMP!

Problem solved. When a gust of wind would come up, the fire turned cherry red.

I don't think you will know whether this thing will work or not, in your situation, until you try it.

Cleaning it in the spring is a drag.
Dirty chimney cap? I have the same problem w/ our regular, banded chimney.
Try spraying it beforehand w/ Rutland Spray Creosote Remover. Run a couple
of hot fires, and you will find that the gunk on your cap isn't so "gunky" anymore.
It will break off a lot like "peanut brittle" layers - a lot easier for me to clean.
You can get Rutland products at most larger hardware store chains.
Hope this helps...
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.