Will air intake prevent smoke front entering house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deucedown

May 26, 2008
poughkeepsie, ny
Hi, I've had a couple different responses from pellet stove dealers. A couple of them has said if you do a straight pipe, vent and have an air intake, if the power goes out the air intake/exhaust will prevent smoke from going in the house.

A few others have said they would run it outside then to a 3 or 4 ft vertical run and that would prevent smoke.

I know the 4 ft vertical would most likely be better but would the fresh air intake thingy be sufficient? If I used the wrong terms, I apologize. Thanks!

The "fresh air thingy" (aka Outside Air Kit or OAK) is a plus in any situation, but will not help in the straight out pipe set-up as far as ridding the stove of smoke during a power outage.

Go with the 3-4' vertical on the outside.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Better yet run the vertical inside.

X2, vertical on the outside of the house can build up with pellet ash very quickly and cause smoke to come into the house.
Also straight out vertical venting can cause smoke to come into the house especially on a windy day!

A min 3 foot vertical rise inside the house is the RECOMMENDED method of venting and is stated so in some pellet stove manuals like the AES stoves.

Reactions: smoke show
What type of stove do you have? This plays a big part. As some stoves have a sealed intake, some unsealed, some have a flapper/sail switch.

In some applications, a straight vent and OAK will prevent smoke. 1/4"-1/2" rise per ft of horizontal pipe and a sealed system can work. My Quad is far from sealed. But in a Simulated Power outage, it has very little leakage (air-wash).

I am with Smoke. If your gonna have vertical. Have it inside to keep flue gas warmer.

Have you ever heard of Selkirk DT pipe?

Reactions: smoke show
I'm going to get a Harman XXV. The pipe inside isn't an option so it is either straight shot or vertical pipe outside.
Like I said, STRONGLY advise a t least 4' vertical outside. Plus, cleaning the pipe is much less messy from the outdoor T. If you have the $$, get a double ended T so both the vert. pipe and pipe to stove can be cleaned from outdoors.

While I agree that a vertical rise is a good idea, mine is a direct vent, no rise. I've lost power a couple of times, and got just the faintest whiff of smoke inside the house, not enough to set off the nearby smoke detector. I do have an OAK, and there's no air wash in the door for smoke to escape through. It's on the windward side of the house, too.

I think the OAK and lack of airwash work in my favor during a power outage while burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.