Will an elbow and tee with cap cause draft loss.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
My buddy has to add a double wall non-adjustable elbow and either a tee with cap or another elbow to get enough clearance from the wall. I am wondering if he is going to lose a decent amount of draft. Plus should he add 2 elbows or one elbow and a tee. I told him an elbow and tee would be nice because then he could clean his chimney pipe from the tee, easier than taking off all the tubes in the stove. The elbow and tee will be installed just below the ceiling and above about 4 feet of double wall pipe (13 feet of Class A chimney pipe total too outside)

He currently has a straight pipe(vertical installation)to roof, so very good draft.

What do you guys think?

Any bend in the pipe will impact draft. There is information out there that will give you the exact co-efficients and all that physics stuff as to how an elbow or "t" impacts the draft. Think it is some of Gulland's stuff. I've seen it, but can't link you to it - sure someone more proficient in computer use will chime in with a link.

Is there a reason you cant use a 45 deg offset?

yeah.... first one offsets it and second one makes it vertical again.

That's what a figured, would the two 45 offsets be better than an elbow and tee.

I just like the fact that he could clean his chimney pipe easier, would the difference in draft be worth the ease of clean......

45 deg offset will be much better than a 90 with a horizontal section. Also IMO the 45 offset looks a lot better than having a big clean-out Tee above the stove. If you do go with the 90 I would suggest using a Tee with it.

So 2 45's below the ceiling and above the 4 foot section of double wall which goes straight into the stove)is better than having a 90 elbow with a tee above 4 foot section of double wall into stove correct?

This is what I was thinking

Attachments

• E5BAE09D-88FE-4A42-823E-C5D9DB55A276.pdf - Adobe Reader.bmp
    93.2 KB · Views: 417
Hi JFK
Looked at your photo of the PE Summit with pedestal.
I'm curious to know how many inches from the ground to where the 6 inch stove pipe begins
on the top of your stove.
When I replace my old stove, it exits thru the basement wall so I need to know if I
too could use 2 45's from the stove to the existing wall connection instead of an 90 elbow.
I also wonder if their is a minimal distance to begin the 45 from the stove's top to the next 45 connection
before connecting to the wall. (Not sure if I described it clearly...
-gary

Ours runs horizontally through the wall and then a T and up the outside of the house. That does make it handy for cleaning the chimney. As far as loss of draft, I think the normal is to figure a extra foot or 2 feet on the chimney for each elbow, but don't quote me on that. Look it up.

I seem to remember reading here, that each 90 elbow = -5' of pipe. Yes thats minus five foot of pipe.

I like the idea of a tee and a cleanout as your picture shows. This may work well for cleanout but you would also have
to clean the pipe from the ceiling to the stove once in a while.

With 13 feet of pipe I doubt you will notice enough draft loss to effectively
reduce the needed stove draft. I think the draft concern would be a moot point.
Just my opinion, not scientific. Grin.

So If my buddy uses two 45's, I have seen pictures of the 45 degree offsets right from the stove top and I have also seen them just before the ceiling, any preference.

We usually put them near the ceiling. I think it looks better, less noticeable.

I would think it would be better by the stove vs. by the ceiling. Reason, heat rises. If the elbow is closer to the ceiling then the heat is too. Also, why not keep the heat down low where it will also help to warm the room?

JFK said:
OK, I have 1 vote for 45's by the stove another vote by the ceiling. Anybody else want to chime in, Craig?

I'm 50/50 LMAO.
I agree at the top would be more eye pleasing to me personally. BUT, Its stated over & over here about creosote build up at elbows. I would think if they are nearer the stove, they would be kept hotter, and less chance of cooling & buildup. So, hmmm I myself would either go right to installing them at the stove, or if I really liked the look up higher better, I would do that, and check for buildup periodically. If it did start building up faster. I myself would move them down to the stove. Wow, alot of moving around. I'd prolly just put then lower and avoid all the BS. Thats merely my own opinion.

Garyvol said:
Hi JFK
Looked at your photo of the PE Summit with pedestal.
I'm curious to know how many inches from the ground to where the 6 inch stove pipe begins
on the top of your stove.
When I replace my old stove, it exits thru the basement wall so I need to know if I
too could use 2 45's from the stove to the existing wall connection instead of an 90 elbow.
I also wonder if their is a minimal distance to begin the 45 from the stove's top to the next 45 connection
before connecting to the wall. (Not sure if I described it clearly...
-gary

You mean like this:

Attachments

• Pacific energy Summit..JPG
    Pacific energy Summit..JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 280
If you aren't going to use the T then I think the 45's would work better by the stove. That is how I just installed our
Yosemite by quadrafire. This makes it easy to unhook the pipe without a ladder for cleaning. I can remove the screws,
pull the 45 apart, then slide the pipe up onto the slip fitting at the ceiling and put a heavy garbage bag around it to
catch the debris when I clean the pipe. With these newer stoves and clean burning I don't find cleaning is necessary
very often but inspection should be done routinely, expecially at the cap on the roof.

269395564_GfX9Q-O.jpg

Carl said:
If you aren't going to use the T then I think the 45's would work better by the stove. That is how I just installed our
Yosemite by quadrafire. This makes it easy to unhook the pipe without a ladder for cleaning. I can remove the screws,
pull the 45 apart, then slide the pipe up onto the slip fitting at the ceiling and put a heavy garbage bag around it to
catch the debris when I clean the pipe. With these newer stoves and clean burning I don't find cleaning is necessary
very often but inspection should be done routinely, expecially at the cap on the roof.

Hi Carl,
That's a very nice looking stove and hearth you have there!

Ray

Carl said:

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Bravo!
Nice setup, hope I can do it that well. I am going to purchase 2 Selkirk Metab pipe so it will be be all uniform inside. Bravo again!

Glad you liked the stove and hearth Ray. We just updated from a Jotul and will be selling the jotul.
We purchased the stove on sale for almost half off. They quit making this color last year but the
dealer had one left. They delivered it and set it on the hearth and I hooked it up.

Carl said:
Glad you liked the stove and hearth Ray. We just updated from a Jotul and will be selling the jotul.
We purchased the stove on sale for almost half off. They quit making this color last year but the
dealer had one left. They delivered it and set it on the hearth and I hooked it up.

Yeah that is a beautiful stove Carl... You paid half price would you tell me how much was half?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.