Will cut wood for food

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
My 1st cousin Renee is in her mid 40's and a four year old son and her husband passed away from cancer last year. She ran out of wood last year at Christmas and I didn't find out about it until the family reunion last month. And with work and watching her son she doesn't have time to cut any. So a family friend and I decided to help her out once it got cooler. That day ended up being yesterday. I ended up having to watch my 7yr old nephew too but that worked out great as the kids played together all day and let us get some work done. I got there at 8:45 and had to spend almost a hour working on her tractor so I could use it make a trail to the trees then pull them out to where I could cut them up. She has a lot of dead ash on her fence lines in a ditch but it was hard finding ones I could get to the weren't covered in poison ivy. I brought my splitter and while I felled and blocked Matt split. Cutting up was slow going as the dead dry ash dulled the chain fast and I was having to sharpen twice a tree. My Brother Dad and Uncle came out in the afternoon and helped with the splitting hauling and stacking. Renee made us awesome baby back ribs that would pull apart with a fork for lunch and sent us home with homemade brownies and muffins and a 12 pk each. It was supposed to start raining at 4pm so we only got a little more than three face cords CSS. So we are going to make another trip out for more food and cutting.

60183_1322008145234_1681757389_617690_1381379_n.jpg

Billy

Thanks Wood Splitter it was!

Billy

Good to have family members that help out when needed, best part of life is family, your cousin has a very nice house.

Billy, that is a great thing to do. I had been thinking and wondering lately about this very same thing.

What if we could somehow get together some hearth.com folks in different areas that would be willing to help out the folks that need help? We could perhaps do this by either donating firewood that is ready to burn or have a get-together at the needy folks place to cut wood they have of their own. We could bring saws, splitters, axes, cant hooks and drinks. Maybe some could get together to prepare a good meal for everyone too. If this could be pulled off it might make for a great way to meet others while doing some good. Does anyone have any further ideas of this?

Billy it's always nice to see people helping people. Good job.

zap

Billy,

Nice job by you and your family - It can be amazing how a relatively small amount of our time/energy/effort can make a really big difference for someone going through a difficult time. You've set an example for me to follow. Thanks!

I'll lend a hand if I can. Britton's only 15 minutes away. In fact, I've got a load of ash on my trailer that's been there for a month that needs to come off.

Thanks OldSpark

Our family is pretty good about getting together and helping each other out. The big problem is that we don't talk much so we don't know when there is a problem. Ouf family joke is that even though we have five cousins living within 35 miles we gotta drive 350 miles to see them. As we never get together down here but see each other quite regularly UP at the farm.

Howdy Dennis

Sounds good. Its always fun to get together with friends and help out. Kinda like a old fashion barn raising. It always seems to me like the people that really need help are quiet and you don't know they need any help.

Thanks ZAP

We all had a good time and got some exercise and great food. Sure made me feel good!

Thanks FireWoodJunky

I'm nothin special. Just a good ol boy that likes having fun. I like a world that has fun and helps each other out. And I feel the best way to make the world go the way I want it to is by being a good friend and help others out. All the money in the world won't make you feel as good as being liked and appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

She has plenty of wood it just has to be cut up and split. I'm not sure yet when we are going over next. But are talking about going next month.

Thanks Skier

Have a great day!

Billy

Great job! if your saw will pull it try a full chisel chain I get a faster faster cut = less cutting time = less heat build up on chain.

good for you Cowboy!

was gonna mention taking out the easy ash after the ivy go's dormant, but after i did some snooping i found this...

'Vines and roots are toxic even without leaves in dormancy during winter!'

learn something new everyday ;-P

good luck with the weather on the rest of your cutting eh!

loon

Hats off to ya. Wish I could have helped( just kidding the food sounded great)

JIM

Howdy 70Marlin

Actually I was thinking of getting a semi chisel chain for it. All I have run for years is pro grade full chisel but it wasn't holding a edge in that wood.

Thanks Loon

Unfortunately I found out the hard way. But most of the time it gets on your cloths and I get it after I wash them.

Thanks Jim

It sure was good!

Billy

I fell like I'm late to the party! Nice work Billy, and I, too, like the house. If you or Dennis organize anything in our neck of the woods UP here, let me know and I'll plan on helping out. Our church has an outdoor wood burner and purchases pulpwood each year to burn in it. We have to buck the logs and some trustees from the Chippewa County jail come out to stack in the woodshed. They get out for a day and the ladies prepare some home-cooked meals for them, which they like. Our congregation is aging with many over 70 years old, but they are out there with their saws and front-end loaders moving wood around!

Thanks Uper

Will do. But someone other than I will be planing it. My planing abilitys stop at the end of the weather forecast. I look at the weather forecast and say I can do this and that this weekend. Other than that I let other people plan stuff and tell them to remind me a few days before then so I remember.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.