Q&A Will fan on stovepipe cause creosote ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have installed my woodstove recently. I have found that It will effectively heat most of the house with a fan set on low blowing over the top of it from behind. I have found that the stovepipe temp drops dramatically when I use the fan this way. <p>
Am I going to have more of a problem with creosote buildup with this setup? The stove pipe temp without the fan ran between 250 and 500 degrees. With the fan it runs 100-250 (usually 150-200). To reiterate my question: Will the lesser temperatures of the stovepipe cause increased condensation of creosote? and furthermore will it produce dangerous amounts?

Answer:

If the inside stack temperatures are really this much lower- and if your stove is an older model- it could lead to increased creosote or condensation. However- since your thermometer is probably a surface type- it may not be measuring your temperature accurately. You can purchase probe thermometers if you want a more accurate idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.