Will gas grill regulator work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel technician

Nov 29, 2007
North Carolina
I have a Pro Com vent-free, propane gas, log heater from Harbor Freight with a BTU rating of 20,000 - 30,000 that I plan to use in a garage with a 20 lb. gas cylinder. Will a standard gas grill regulator work? Or do I have to buy a different type of regulator. I have a spare gas grill regulator, so I was hoping to use it. Thanks for any info.

You have read the part of the manual that says not to put the propane container inside the structure haven't you?

Look for a WC ( water colume) rating on both the heater and the reg. If they are within specs you should be fine. But as BB said try to put the tank outside. I operate a 45 gal water heater in the garage the same way and its worked fine for over a year

Admittedly, I have used one of those radiant heaters atop the propane bottle to get a little heat in the garage from time to time. It has worked well over the years. Unfortunately, that is the tendency of gas appliances - they may work perfectly fine for years then **BOOM!!** one day they don't work so well.

Sounds like a bad idea to me....

propane....
vent free...
jerry rig....

sounds like a formula for an explosion.

And a healthy dose of carbon monoxide.
(why does my head ache so bad after I work in the garage?)

Status
Not open for further replies.