Will Harman 52i Heat My Home As The Primary Heat Source?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeysDad

Sep 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

I've seriously considered getting a Pacific Energy Summit wood burning insert but am having second thoughts about storing wood. I know for sure that insert would heat my home for the most part pretty well as a primary heat source. The Harman 52i has significantly less BTU output but offers all of the creature comforts of a pellet stove, most notably much more compact fuel storage.

The ultimate question is, can I get away with the output difference between a Pacific Energy Summit insert and the Harman 52i and still heat my home without using my oil? My house is 1758 square feet with a somewhat difficult layout for the two added rooms (the family room and sunroom). It's also worth noting that the wall along the left side of the family room is the original exterior wall and is cinder block. The red area is where my fireplace is and the blue area is the return for my central AC/Fan, which is located in the ceiling.

Any input from this side of the forum is much appreciated. FYI - I live in the suburbs of PA which can get into the teens. We rarely see negative temperatures, however.

FloorPlan_edited.jpg

The family room might be a few degrees lower than the rest of the house. What do you use more? the living room or the family room?

Probably not. Those with experience will tell you a stove is a space heater and not a primary source of heat in most applications. You will most likely have hot, warm and cool spots where a primary heating source hits all spots. This said, a Harman 52i is a pretty darn good space heater.

So you won't have even temperature distribution across the entire home, but are you willing to pay for oil to get that? A wool sweater is cheaper.

Assuming you have grounded outlets, you could throw an electric space heater into those most distant rooms and turn it on as needed. Try the 52i alone before buying anything. It cranks out some heat.

Hi everyone,

I've seriously considered getting a Pacific Energy Summit wood burning insert but am having second thoughts about storing wood. I know for sure that insert would heat my home for the most part pretty well as a primary heat source. The Harman 52i has significantly less BTU output but offers all of the creature comforts of a pellet stove, most notably much more compact fuel storage.

The ultimate question is, can I get away with the output difference between a Pacific Energy Summit insert and the Harman 52i and still heat my home without using my oil? My house is 1758 square feet with a somewhat difficult layout for the two added rooms (the family room and sunroom). It's also worth noting that the wall along the left side of the family room is the original exterior wall and is cinder block. The red area is where my fireplace is and the blue area is the return for my central AC/Fan, which is located in the ceiling.

Any input from this side of the forum is much appreciated. FYI - I live in the suburbs of PA which can get into the teens. We rarely see negative temperatures, however.

View attachment 139937
My home is 2000 square feet I have no doubt that this space heater will heat my space comfortably you may have to use fans to distribute the air around the house to even out but would be the same problem you would have with the summit the 52i has two 136 cfm fans will blast you out of the house at 1758 square feet my opinion is won't be a problem to heat your hole house

If you install your stove where the red block is, you will freeze your ass off in the family room, some heat will make it to the hall and dining kitchen, bedrooms will be cool also.my cape is 32' wide, i have a hardtime heating my kitchen/dining room 16 feet away, it can be 10 degree's cooler around that corner in the coldest winter nights

It depends on how well insulated your house is. I'm on a slab and went from 1200 gallons of Dino juice to 200 gallons. When you get the real cold below zero stuff I go on the Dino juice to help out. I had a wood burning insert also but just to much work . Get the 52i you won't be disappointed. Good luck

Harman makes a great unit. next year a long time wood burner friend is getting the 52I.

Status
Not open for further replies.