Will he come back?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
He showed up for a couple of days on 5/29/08 & 5/30/08, last year we kept the bird feeders in until the middle of June so we never saw him, bird feeders plus the trail cam will go up this year.

Zap

Attachments

• bear.jpg
    bear.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 568
Zap, what kind of trail cam do you have, and was it expensive?
I have a network of trails behind my house where I go snowshowing quite a bit, and my oldest son and I have gone to a few outdoor classes where you learn about tracks/scat, etc..
Was about 2 miles in over the weekend, and I came across some Black Bear tracks..(We have had them in our yard before)
Was looking for a basic camera to see what else is out there, but don't have any clue about what to get and don't have a lot of $$$...just looking for the basics. (I have seen bobcat, mink and coyote tracks as well)
Nice pic!

ilikewood said:
Zap, what kind of trail cam do you have, and was it expensive?
I have a network of trails behind my house where I go snowshowing quite a bit, and my oldest son and I have gone to a few outdoor classes where you learn about tracks/scat, etc..
Was about 2 miles in over the weekend, and I came across some Black Bear tracks..(We have had them in our yard before)
Was looking for a basic camera to see what else is out there, but don't have any clue about what to get and don't have a lot of $$$...just looking for the basics. (I have seen bobcat, mink and coyote tracks as well)
Nice pic!

Bushnell Trail Cam that I think cost about $99.00 at the time but I'll check tonight when I get home for the model #. This looks like the same one through amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trail-Sentry-Digital-Camera/dp/B00192IO9W

Zap

Thanks...the one you listed was one I was actually looking at.
Just wanted something for $100-$150 or so... as I don't need anything real fancy.

Will he come back?

Yes.
In Alaska, they saying is "A feed bear is a dead bear"
http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm

Reason: once they get food from a location, they will always return to look for easy eats.
I know of many dead bears that got into trash, they keep coming back, get possessive & then no choice.
Mostly blacks but a few grizz.
Safety issue in the remote camp I worked at for years.
The other saying we had "When a bear don't run, get the gun"

Cool Zap

Two years ago my sister and her family were UP at the farm with us. They had stopped and gotten smoked white fist on the way up. I told them to throw all the scrap in the fire as soon as they were done or it would draw the bears. A half hour latter my sister got me and ask what was running across the road. I told her as I watched a bear walk back and forth across the road three times. And wondering why it was doing that. The last time she went across a cub followed her then a second one.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Zap

Two years ago my sister and her family were UP at the farm with us. They had stopped and gotten smoked white fist on the way up. I told them to throw all the scrap in the fire as soon as they were done or it would draw the bears. A half hour latter my sister got me and ask what was running across the road. I told her as I watched a bear walk back and forth across the road three times. And wondering why it was doing that. The last time she went across a cub followed her then a second one.

Billy

Mama with cubs could spell trouble.

Zap

Thats true. But she could easily hear us and crossed at what she felt was a safe distance. Which was about 1/8 mile away. And we did not intrude on her space. But if she had come up the hill it would have been a bear hunt. We always have large caliber redneck toys around.

Billy

I've seen bear cross the road in front of the car, but I've never had the chance to watch one feed. What a great photograph.

Years ago, I was out on my horse in September (northern NH). We were on a logging road through a pretty recently cleared area and there were blackberry canes everywhere laden with fruit. My horse tensed up; head high, ears pricked forward, spine tense, and that mincing ("collected") walk. Lots of heaving blowing through the nostrils... I knew something was "different" than just the usual "spook", because it lasted for a couple of minutes, not just seconds. I never saw a bear, but to this day I've always thought that's what it was.

Bears are smart and I like knowing there are wild things out there smart enough to evade us when they don't want to be seen. A good reminder that I'm not nearly as smart as I like to think I am... . Also a good reminder to put away the bird feeders!

Saw a mama and two cubs saturday 2 houses up - looked to be scrounging acorns. Food is not easy to find in the spring - so we have alot of sitings on trash day. We stopped the truck to look at the mom and cubs and they didn't spook at all.

Black bears are common around Northern NJ - but we never seem to have a camera handy. They get into our bird feeders and nectar feeder for the humming birds. They twisted a 3/4 inch steel sheperd hook like it was a pretzel. I don't put the feeders out - much anymore.

Last year - our dog was barking to go out around 2am, and the wife slid the glass door open to find a huge bear on our deck. She looks now before opening the door.

Beautiful creatures. They've opened a bear hunt again as their numbers have really grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.