Will I get more heat without rear heat shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cc rangeley

Jan 7, 2013
So my last question concerned why the floor under my Jotul Rangeley was hot. I learned from the wise folks on this forum (and at Jotul) that my installer had neglected to attach the bottom heat shield. (It's on now.) What's ironic is that he told me I dont need the rear heat shield - I guess because clearance from combustibles is sufficient. I have kept it on because it seemed like the more protection, the better, but I wonder if there's a benefit to taking it off. Will the stove give off more heat?

So my last question concerned why the floor under my Jotul Rangeley was hot. I learned from the wise folks on this forum (and at Jotul) that my installer had neglected to attach the bottom heat shield. (It's on now.) What's ironic is that he told me I dont need the rear heat shield - I guess because clearance from combustibles is sufficient. I have kept it on because it seemed like the more protection, the better, but I wonder if there's a benefit to taking it off. Will the stove give off more heat?
I doubt you get more heat. The heat shield will re-direct the heat. The heat shield is to protect the surroundings. The shield will also absorb heat, but it will radiate off. So you will still get the amount of heat the stove is putting out.

No, you will not get more heat from the stove by taking the shield off. Heat isn't being trapped behind it, air flows behind the shield. The Rangeley comes with rear shield installed, so I would think that the clearances given would be with the shield on it. Does the manual show the clearances with the shield removed? I would be surprised if it did.

The heat shield will help to push the heat into the room where you want it instead of it going into an empty fireplace or into a wall. Plus it's an added level of protection - regardless of install clearances to combustibles.

No, you will not get more heat from the stove by taking the shield off. Heat isn't being trapped behind it, air flows behind the shield. The Rangeley comes with rear shield installed, so I would think that the clearances given would be with the shield on it. Does the manual show the clearances with the shield removed? I would be surprised if it did.
That's an excellent point. The manual says nothing about clearance without rear heat shield, and Im glad Ive kept it on. I just dont get why the installer would say it's optional. He didnt take responsibility for not installing the bottom heat shield, and I get the sense he didnt look at the manual at all...

That's an excellent point. The manual says nothing about clearance without rear heat shield, and Im glad Ive kept it on. I just dont get why the installer would say it's optional. He didnt take responsibility for not installing the bottom heat shield, and I get the sense he didnt look at the manual at all...
The Jotul Oslo 500 doesn't come with the heat sheild but it is optional. With my location it wouldn't matter much. However, I purchased a tangeal fan in which I made a simple mount and placed it behind the stove. It provides great circulation when needed.

On some other Jotuls, the bottom shield is only needed if the stove is installed into an alcove. Is the Rangeley different? What do the Manual say about the bottom heat shield?

Some people have 20 years of experience in a trade or professtion and some have 1 year 20 times..sigh..

Reactions: webby3650
Having seen the setup, if it were mine I'd want the shield in place due to your "on deck" wood storage area behind the stove. Plus, as others have said, it doesn't cut down on heat available to the room.

-dan

Two types of heat from a wood stove- radiant and convection. With the heat shield in place you will loose radiant heat (not often beneficial at the rear of a stove) and pick up convective heat. If it came with a shield in place I would think twice about removal...your insurance might suffer for it.

On some other Jotuls, the bottom shield is only needed if the stove is installed into an alcove. Is the Rangeley different? What do the Manual say about the bottom heat shield?
Manual says it's a necessary part, as only ember protection hearth is required. If the installer had looked at the manual he wouldve seen that bottom heat shield is not optional. He also might not have had left over hex screws...

Did he work for a hearth store? Were did you find him?

Did he work for a hearth store? Were did you find him?
He is a "licensed" chimney sweep with all kinds of certifications. The store where I bought the stove put me in contact with him. To their credit, they stayed in the loop during the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.