Will I have enough room to work or am I rushing things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
My wife is anxious to get my stove install mess cleaned out of the living room, and I don't have the pipe yet. I also can't set the hearth board until I have the insert in there. If I go ahead and put the insert in I will have 8" of working room. Is this enough to work around in there when installing liner? As far as running the pipe I can't forsee needing to pull it as my chimney is 18x18 and a straight shot down. What would you guys do? We have company coming for Thanksgiving so she is getting ansy.

HAPPY WIFE - HAPPY LIFE.................................I would try to neaten up everything enough to keep her content, but I would think you would want to have more than 8" of workspace. I'd be making up a "Pardon our mess during construction" sign. Good Luck!

Of course you will have this all cleaned up by Wednesday, right? For Thanksgiving things should be neat and in order before company shows up. (Or take her out for Thanksgiving dinner.)

BeGreen said:
Of course you will have this all cleaned up by Wednesday, right? For Thanksgiving things should be neat and in order before company shows up. (Or take her out for Thanksgiving dinner.)

That's my worry. I running outta time here but at the same time don't want to rush things. I was thinking that 8" is enough working room but I have never installed one of these before. I only have to reach in about 10" as well so it's not like I have to get back behind the stove.

p.s. The flue exit is on top.

What's holding up putting in the liner? Are you waiting for parts?

Unless the liner will drop straight onto the insert outlet, you ain't going to have enough room. Even so, it is much easier to finesse the liner down through everything when you can get into there, rather than trying to maneuver the liner with just your arms as your body is out away from the firebox of the fireplace. Makes for no leverage. If it was me I would clean up as best as I can, and wait to install the insert after the liner is in place. Thats just me though. Good luck with keeping the lil woman happy.

Plan A, install liner by Wed and get the stove in place. Plan B, if no liner by Wed. then full clean up. Set hearth extension in place. Move insert out of the way temporarily and cover with a sheet or blanket. Put a plant on top.

BeGreen said:
Plan A, install liner by Wed and get the stove in place. Plan B, if no liner by Wed. then full clean up. Set hearth extension in place. Move insert out of the way temporarily and cover with a sheet or blanket. Put a BEAUTIFUL DOZEN ROSES FOR WIFE on top.

I'd be happy the thing was in the house.

Just sayin' ;-P

If you have the manpower, just put the insert in the fireplace until the liner comes and then pull it back out again to install the liner. Spread a bunch of BB's down under it and it will roll right in and roll right out. Should be easy enough if I understand your issue correctly. Stove is out of the way and you can put the other stuff somewhere in hiding. You certainly don't want wifey unhappy on Turkey day :)

Don't mater what "WE" say.
You "will" have enough room, she said so.

Put a nice blue tarp over it.
Make sure it has those pretty little fringey things hanging from it due to being flung about in 80 billion mile an hour winds. They're pretty, and will catch everyone's eye and they won't notice the bulge underneath.
Maybe set the food on top, like a buffet.....at least the turkey. Just throwin' ideas out there for 'ya.

bogydave said:
Don't mater what "WE" say.
You "will" have enough room, she said so.

And I asked myself "is this the hill I want to die on?. I still probably have room in the firebox to work but if not I'm just gonna have to move it out. Don't know how much I'm gonna get away from work this week so I'm glad I did it (she told me so). Still gotta get some side plates made for the trim.

14t645z.jpg

os4z2g.jpg

Looks good to me, but I'm a casual observer :roll:
You can always trow in a bunch of christmas lights with a few blinkers, not much heat but it'll look good :lol:
You've done a good job so far,
My guess is you'll have it up & going with time to spare :)

Status
Not open for further replies.