1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Will I need an additional thermostat?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by eboucher, Nov 29, 2012.

1. eboucher

eboucher Member

Loc:
    SoNH
    Do I need to install an additional thermostat for my stove or can i share off my thermostat that controls the forced hot air in the house?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    You shouldn't share circuits like this.....
  3. eboucher

eboucher Member

Loc:
    SoNH
    Thanks...that's what i though.
  4. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Also, get one that has a swing option. It will sve your ignitor. aka, DONT buy the one in my sig :X
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    You do not want to operate two heating devices from the same t-stat and you have to make certain if you decide to disconnect the t-stat you have from the furnace to connect it to the stove that it doesn't provide any voltage and only acts as a switch and that it has the ability have a range that it will not call for heat around a set point this is called a swing or span in the t-stats manual.

The normal practice is to use separate t-stats setting the furnace one to lower than the one for the pellet stove (remember the span or swing) so it acts as a backup.

An example t-stat for pellet stove set point 71 swing of 2 degrees turns the stove up or on at 69 and off or down at 73 in this case you set the furnace t-stat at 67 or so to act as a back up if the pellet stove goes out.