Will I need an additional thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eboucher

Dec 4, 2011
SoNH
Do I need to install an additional thermostat for my stove or can i share off my thermostat that controls the forced hot air in the house?

You shouldn't share circuits like this.....

Thanks...that's what i though.

Also, get one that has a swing option. It will sve your ignitor. aka, DONT buy the one in my sig :X

You do not want to operate two heating devices from the same t-stat and you have to make certain if you decide to disconnect the t-stat you have from the furnace to connect it to the stove that it doesn't provide any voltage and only acts as a switch and that it has the ability have a range that it will not call for heat around a set point this is called a swing or span in the t-stats manual.

The normal practice is to use separate t-stats setting the furnace one to lower than the one for the pellet stove (remember the span or swing) so it acts as a backup.

An example t-stat for pellet stove set point 71 swing of 2 degrees turns the stove up or on at 69 and off or down at 73 in this case you set the furnace t-stat at 67 or so to act as a back up if the pellet stove goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.