Will insulated liner fit and 8x8 flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My chimney has a 8x8 outside dimension clay liner, I would like to put a liner in it. It is and outside chimney so from what I have been reading on here it needs to be insulated, will a 6 inch flexable liner with the insulation wrapped around fit down the chimney? If it will not should I use the stuff that you mix with water and pour down in and could it be removed later?

Measure the inside and see what you have. A 6" liner with a wrap will typically end up being ~7". I would give myself a little more space than that even though. You could have some mortar blobs or misaligned tiles in the chimney that you have to work around. If you can't fit a wrap and end up going with the pourable insulation, a wet mix like Thermix will end up setting up and you won't be able to remove the liner later. If you are thinking about removing it at some point, you should use a loose fill insulation such as loose fill perlite or vermiculite.

Status
Not open for further replies.