Will it be ready for this winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I got lucky and got a couple cord of wood. I have about a cord of ash, some birch and the rest silver maple (i think). I know the Ash should be ready to go this winter, but will the other 2 species? There might be a few other type mixed in but i am not going to worry about dealing with them, all i know is they are not oak.

Silver and ash will be ready use silver first then move to as it gets colder.

chris2879 said:
I got lucky and got a couple cord of wood.
Is it green or dead?

smokinjay said:
Silver and ash will be ready use silver first then move to as it gets colder.
I like to hear that, Jay. I've got a bunch of Ash to get in the next couple of weeks, and it's dead/standing. Assuming we start getting some hot weather, it sounds like it'll be good to go this Fall. I'll be dropping a few dead Red Oaks also, and I'll be looking for some of the branches to be dry already. Then I've got to rebuild a couple of stoves for my SILs, so they don't burn up all my hard work too fast with their leaky stoves. :lol:

I agree with Jay but I would not count on those red oak limbs to be very dry come winter. Best stack them alone and wait for Nature to do the drying in its own time.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree with Jay but I would not count on those red oak limbs to be very dry come winter. Best stack them alone and wait for Nature to do the drying in its own time.

Agreed. I cut and split 2 8" limbs today that fell early last year...39% on the moisture meter. Given how long it takes red oak to give up moisture I am glad they are for '12/13 and not this year. I would prefer to use them the year after that but it depends on what I can get in the meantime.

Cascade Failure said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Agreed. I cut and split 2 8" limbs today that fell early last year...39% on the moisture meter. Given how long it takes red oak to give up moisture I am glad they are for '12/13 and not this year. I would prefer to use them the year after that but it depends on what I can get in the meantime.
I got a couple of dead standing Black Oak that the power company cut down in March, and anything 6" or smaller was stove-ready...15% MC. I've still got about .25 cord of that. I guess each tree will be different, but I'm hoping for some good luck on some of these others. Between the White Ash I'm grabbing and the Red/Black Oak, I think I'll have something for my peeps that will work. Sunny days are finally forecast...hammer down. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.