Will it Season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningBrutus

Oct 24, 2013
Amherst, NY
I have a question for you guys. Will my wood in the garage dry out? I have a cord of green wood, i would say 30% on the MM. Will it just take longer or what do you guys think?

It will dry eventually. Probably faster outside in the summer heat with wind but it will dry. Not sure how long it will take in a garage. Let us know how long it takes.

My guess would be that it depends on the humidity level in your garage.

Maybe run a dehumidifier in there to speed things along ???

Or a really big fan.;)

Mid winter last year I purchased on the cheap a cord of lodgepole pine, larch and aspen from an absent home owner. It was stacked in unsplit rounds stored for six years in a garage with no windows. All the ends were as white as the day it was bucked. My MM had most of it pegged at around 6% or woodent even register. Some of it burned nice but most of it off gassed real quick and burned with a black smoke even at hot temps so Ive been mixing it with other stuff and for kindling. I know this is an extreme example but I thought it would be interesting to share.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I burned a stacked of mixed hardwoods that had been in parents garage for a few years and it went up like newspaper, sending the stove temp soaring. I think it was around 7% on the MM.

It will take much more time to season down to 15 - 20% with out sunshine and wind if your geographical location. Also, you will risk bug infestations as soon as temperatures rise and the critters come out. I would advise against it.

Definetely longer.

It will take much more time to season down to 15 - 20% with out sunshine and wind if your geographical location. Also, you will risk bug infestations as soon as temperatures rise and the critters come out. I would advise against it.

Yes, don't know about WNY, but carpenter ants would be my biggest concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.