WILL MORTAR STICK TO STEEL ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenax

Jan 31, 2009
lethbridge alberta canada
questions comes up because i want to extend eldorado stone i'm going to put around my fireplace to cover the zero clearance fireplace trim. (there is a natural gas insert going into the old zero clearance fireplace hole) to butt the eldorado stone right up to the edge of the ngas insert. if the insert were to have been put in before the tile, the tile would have been placed to butt up against the insert..make sense? here's a picture for reference:

renopicturesresize1.jpg

By now hopefully you've read up on how to install the stone.

What I think will work is to extend the wire lathe you will be using over top of the metal trim, and use sheet metal screws to secure it to the metal.

Make sense?

i have been..and i'm sure i will the instructions a few more times..extending the lathe and etc was exactly how i thought i might go about it. dont' see any reason i can't put tar paper over it like i will be doing on the rest of the plywood or cement board i install around it. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.