Will Pellet Prices Go Down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything you wrote in your long response in #38 was explained well in this one...

Everyone has to decide for themselves, what "wasteful" is... In your case, you cannot afford the extra.
Others can, and do.
They aren't "crazy"... and neither are you.

I can't believe how the Doug Firs are selling... People call and just want them..
Are they crazy? No... It's what they want.. I doubt they are in danger of losing their home.

I see no difference in buying pellets over oil, than a Harley over a Honda.
If it's what you want, you do it. You are the only one that knows if you "can" do it.

Dan

I guess I should have worded it differently. I choose not to pay more for the same. My $ is too valuable to waste.
I "can" afford to "wipe my butt" with $100 bills but I choose not to! Its makes no difference to me if you choose to flush your $ and time down the toilet buying pellets.As I said before, people get rich off of people like you everyday. I was just stating "fact" to the original post. If people are crazy enough to pay more and work harder while gaining nothing, go for it! But prices wont come down. They will only go up.
If you are ever my way and want to throw your $ away, lets get together...

Reactions: Pellet-King
I guess I should have worded it differently. I choose not to pay more for the same. My $ is too valuable to waste.
I "can" afford to "wipe my butt" with $100 bills but I choose not to! Its makes no difference to me if you choose to flush your $ and time down the toilet buying pellets.As I said before, people get rich off of people like you everyday. I was just stating "fact" to the original post. If people are crazy enough to pay more and work harder while gaining nothing, go for it! But prices wont come down. They will only go up.

You of course do realize what he does for a living, don't you.

"To be honest we have never had anyone say they
Didn't want to finish using up the ones they had...
Never had anyone say they would never burn them again..."

His website:

http://mcmanusfuels.com/

Last edited:
No, wasn't aware but makes no difference. My comnents are true.
So he is a "part time helper" at a pellet dealer..
No wonder he is trying to shove his nonsense down everyone's throats. Thanks for the info though BB
Now I understand the reasons behind the far out comments.

I can't afford to wipe my butt with $100 bills but if you can send me some, I'd like to try it. PM me for my address. Thanks.

Reactions: bags
No, wasn't aware but makes no difference. My comnents are true.
So he is a "part time helper" at a pellet dealer..
No wonder he is trying to shove his nonsense down everyone's throats. Thanks for the info though BB
Now I understand the reasons behind the far out comments.

Wow.... you certainly are clueless as to how we do things.......
I'm sorry, that not even knowing me, or McManus at all, that you feel so strongly against me.
It makes no difference to me if you choose to flush your $ and time down the toilet buying pellets.
And for the record..
I don't even heat with pellets... and I do not get a paycheck from McManus Fuels....
We have been best friends, helping each other out for near 40 years. I work with him, he works with me..
I'll bet we gave away more pellets to people down on their luck, during the big shortage, than you burned.
If that seems like the type of people that shove things down others' throats, then I feel for you.
Keep doing business with the BBS.

Done with this one...
Dan

See ya!! You apparently are obtuse, so you take your ball and go home! Typical! I have nothing against you personally, just your opinions on shipping costs and pellet prices that I have read on this forum. For the record, I don't burn pellets anymore either. Even years ago it was getting ridiculous to do all that work and pay all that money, so I got out. I started burning pellets when it was still a good deal. Believe it or not I paid $74 a ton when I first got into it. That was a long time ago. I am now burning coal, as I believe you do. That too is getting borderline-more costly then oil. Once I'm through my stash, if things keep going the way they are going, I too will click the thermostat on and "save"money.

Reactions: Pellet-King
I am just in the process of finishing my pellet install and after reading all this am hoping I did not make a mistake.

I have been a member of this forum for a long time. Before this current forums format, there was another format of this forum. I was a member of that. Says I was a member since 2009 not sure if that includes the prior forum. Anyhow having burnt pellets in the past, & I still burn wood occasionally, I keep in touch. That's why I am here.:)

Oh not questioning you're right to be here, of course you have a right! I was just posing an observation I thought was kinda funny.

I am just in the process of finishing my pellet install and after reading all this am hoping I did not make a mistake.

Lol! I can imagine! Did you make a mistake? Not necessarily. It all depends on why you did it. Did you do it because you have electric heat? Did you do it because your furnace is inefficient, broken etc? Don't know your demographics / oil pricing, heating equipment etc. In general, without knowing the above factors, if you did it solely to save money, it would be safe to say you probably won't save money anytime soon with pellets if things keep going the way they are going. Again, I don't know your particular circumstance.

Seems the rules change for some things north of the border. Like why are you so expensive for gas and oil and selling crude for almost half of Cushing prices?

So, just as an aside, I read through the thread and it seems there is a bit of a "fight" going on here between two non-pellet burning members regarding pellets? Seems....odd to me. Okay, carry-on.
Speaking for myself only, I have not been on this forum as long as others.
But I have been involved with pellets for around 8 years.
My opinions are from dealing with manufacturers, pricing, and truckers.
Wholesale and retail. We have great relationships with all of them.
I have nothing to gain at all for not shooting the way I see it.
Some believe, others don't. It really makes no difference to me.
I'm 67... Well beyond worrying about that sort of thing..
I don't participate here to sell product.
I make the same whether we sell 20 or2000 ton.
There aren't many here close enough to us to even consider that benefit..
Of the thousands of tons sold,
I've met a grand total of one person that bought stuff that reads this forum..

Dan

No I meant that we have been paying over 600 a month in winter for our geo thermal in electricity so thought pellet would save us money...just hoping it still will with what I am reading here. Just not sure how many we will go through

So, coal aside...

My cutoff last year was $320 a ton. No delivery as I have a stout trailer... This year Im locked in Propain .50 cents cheaper than last year. So this years cutoff is more like $300 a ton. Now that Im digging my pellet stove, and loving the 74 degrees my house sits at, I sure hope prices flatten out again. If they sit 320-375 a ton, my stove will be ornamental, or a jacket holder.

Curran Blend for $249
Barefoots $281
If I see Greenways for ~ 269 Im grabbing 2 tons.

Status
Not open for further replies.