Will Pellet Stove Work for me. Diagram Included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgraham34

Aug 23, 2013
NJ
floor.jpg

Hello all I am looking at the GFI55 as an insert to go into my fireplace. Do you guys think this will work in my layout. I am having a hefty Oil boil and I need to subsidize the cost.

I have 2 bedrooms upstairs which the steps are to the right of the fireplace. One bedroom is directly above the living room and the other is above the family room. I also have central air and the return is located at the top of the steps. I thought of using that to move some of the air around as well.

Would a Pellet stove be beneficial to me in that layout. Will I get any air circulation or will most of it just stay in my large living room. Not 100% to scale either.

Convection will move the heated air up the stairs on its own. You may want/need a box fan to get the warmer air into the back bedroom on the first floor. Probably locate the fan so that it circulates the air around the loop from the LR to the kitchen and DR. Suggest a clockwise fan driven airflow direction to keep all the heat from going up the stairs. Maybe place it to the right of the stove. I use a box fan here to blow the wood stove heat around my house, and it heats 2x as well as without the fan.

Oil heat = expensive, for sure.

You have one step wider than the rest. They used to that in castles to cause a castle storming enemy to trip, do you live in a castle?

hee hee,that's funny

You have one step wider than the rest. They used to that in castles to cause a castle storming enemy to trip, do you live in a castle?

Lol, how did you know I live in a castle. It is very cold in my castle. We call it Winterfell.

Thanks all, I am going to give it a shot. Maybe next time I will do the upstairs diagram, because that has a maze, an arcade and a bounce house.

Lol, how did you know I live in a castle. It is very cold in my castle. We call it Winterfell.

Thanks all, I am going to give it a shot. Maybe next time I will do the upstairs diagram, because that has a maze, an arcade and a bounce house.

Not planning on heating the castle from the dungeon are you? Lot harder that way and those multi foot thick stones are a royal pain to drill through.

Reactions: bgraham34
I use thru-the-wall fans. It helps me more then box fans. Maybe put a couple thru the wall above the stove to help blow into the dining/kitchen.

I'm not questioning the laws of physics but pushing the heat does me a better job then pulling.

I am actually thinking of opening the wall going to the kitchen. I might make it a half wall and put a counter on it. That would certainly help.

You never know until you try unfortunately.. I have a living room with two small doorways the heat spread more then I expected.

The key is run the convection fan as high as you can stand, you need to move air ,lots.

Thanks everyone for their help. I am going to have GFI55 in Nickel installed in a few weeks. I look forward to heating
some of my house more affordably for once.

Check out my diagram below. I heat most of my house with an insert (roughly 2400 sq ft heated by pellet stove - trilevel)

Reactions: bgraham34
Status
Not open for further replies.