Will the definition of "seasoned" change over time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Anyone who reads here knows that "seasoned" means different things to different people. With the older stoves, I suppose that wasn't really a problem. As someone with an EPA stove, I know that non seasoned wood burns a lot differently than truely seasoned wood.

As more people update to newer stoves, will things change? Will people start to get bent when the "seasoned" wood they bought hisses, the stoves struggles to get up to temp and glass turns black?

I sure hope so. It will weed out the dishonest sellers.

I guess when most people have new stoves, and unseasoned wood causes them problems, the significance of seasoned wood will become apparent and the definition will change. Given that the life of a wood stove is a very long time, it won't happpen quickly.

I don't think so. Too much space is required for wood sellers to season wood years in advance. I won't say wood sellers will never do this but when you find the ones that do you're going to pay a premium for the wood. I think the more likely scenario is people with epa stoves will educate themselves after being sold wood that won't burn.

I'm not willing to pay a premium for seasoned wood so I'll do it myself. I started heating with wood to save money I want to keep as much in my pocket as possible. :)

Around my neck of the woods . . . not likely. Too many folks are still using old stoves and old tech . . . and when their old stove needs to be replaced (well typically it seems that the stove should have been replaced a few years before they think it needs to be replaced) they tend to look at second-hand stoves . . .

Add to this the general belief that if you burn wood you will have to deal with creosote and there is a good chance you will have at least one chimney fire during the winter and I would speculate that a lot of folks really think "seasoned wood" is wood that was cut in the winter and bucked, split and stacked sometime before you use it that Fall.

Finally, folks that do have wood that is spluttering, spitting and hissing with their new stoves may either a) not realize that the wood they have is not seasoned (since the wood they burned before has burned in the same manner) or b) they may believe it is due to the weather (i.e. "the summer was very cold and rainy".)

Old ways and old habits die very slowly. It would be great if that word, seasoned, meant what it is supposed to mean. Perhaps in another 50 years or more....

Seasone dis one of those terms that needs a qualifier.

Even 'well-seasoned' isn't necessarily by itslf qualified. Assumptive terms are just that - assumptive.

Heck, try to define 'ripe fruit'. Insist on not allowing "a day under' nor 'a day over'.
Even 'tree ripened' doesn't necessarily mean what you might assume it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.