will the englander 30 work for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
My fiance and i purchased our first home and i am looking for a wood stove suit our needs. I am trying to find something used that is in good shape because of cost considerations. i found a englander 30 for 500 bucks that has had about 1/2 cord of wood burnt in it in great like new condition. From what i have read this is a good stove that heats well.

our house is 1700 sq feet that was built in the 40's. new windows throughout the house but unknown if any insulation is in the roof or between the siding and the original construction (my guess is that there is not). It is a colonial style house built of stone.

From what i have read my best bet is going to be to run a chimney out the wall in the pictured room and up where the current propane fire stove is. There is an existing chimney that is in great condition but the oil burner uses it. The wood stove will be the primary source of heat so the oil burner won't be getting used.

does anyone see any problems with my situation? any other suggestions before i pull the trigger on the deal?

here is the room it will be in.
IMG_3194-1.jpg

will the exposed beams be an issue?

here is an exterior shot the left side of the house is the room where the stove will be. please excuse the over gowned gardens. the house sat for 2 year before we purchased it.

IMG_3196.jpg

Here is a floor plan. There is a basement under the house that is unfinished and must be accessed though outside bilco doors.

floorplan.jpg

Insulate insulate insulate!! If there is no insulation in the attic it will not make a difference what stove you put in there!

500 is a good deal on the NC30, assuming it is as new as stated. Get a receipt and take the 30% tax credit.

Stove could be a good deal if it hasn't been abused. I'd go for it if condition is good and price is right.

Running the flue outside, maybe not so good. It is not going to look good on the front of a house. Go straight up and box the chase on the interior. It will not be a big deal in the unused bedroom, but the stove and flue will perform much better.

One thing to look at is to see if the opening between the living room and kitchen can be enlarged. With the assistance of a well place fan that could make a nice comfort improvement there.

BeGreen said:
Stove could be a good deal if it hasn't been abused. I'd go for it if condition is good and price is right.

Running the flue outside, maybe not so good. It is not going to look good on the front of a house. Go straight up and box the chase on the interior. It will not be a big deal in the unused bedroom, but the stove and flue will perform much better.

One thing to look at is to see if the opening between the living room and kitchen can be enlarged. With the assistance of a well place fan that could make a nice comfort improvement there.

so running the chimney outside of the house is not a good idea? It would be on the right side of the house in the above picture. The door seen in the interior of the house is not the front door that you see in the exterior shot. it is on the right side of the house where you can not see. The chimney would be well above head height on the exterior of the house because of how the grade of the ground runs. I would rather not run it though the spare room if i don't have too. It will be used in the future when we decide to have kids.

there would not be enough room to enlarge the doorway between the living room and kitchen. there is a fan that is built into the wall above to doorway and a ceiling fan in the kitchen that would help to move the air.

With all due respect to my friend BeGreen, who has never seen an exterior chimney that he didn't hate, :lol: do it with the right insulated pipe and yes establishing a good draft from a cold start in cold weather will be a problem. After the pipe is hot it will be fine.

BrotherBart said:
With all due respect to my friend BeGreen, who has never seen an exterior chimney that he didn't hate, :lol: do it with the right insulated pipe and yes establishing a good draft from a cold start in cold weather will be a problem. After the pipe is hot it will be fine.

ok, well my plan is to keeping in burning 24/7 so unless it gets left unattended it should not be a problem with the right set up.

can anyone point me in the right direction on the type of pipe i will need?

I say why fight mother nature? The flue can be boxed in a chase in the unused room and pose no problem for wee ones.

Archer39 said:

exterior pipe needs to be 2100 degree rated ul-103ht class a flue pipe, you will need this class pipe from the wall (if going out then up) or ceiling (if going straight up) to the cap, in the rooom with the stove standard black stove pipe , or double wall black stove pipe is fine

stoveguy2esw said:
Archer39 said:

exterior pipe needs to be 2100 degree rated ul-103ht class a flue pipe, you will need this class pipe from the wall (if going out then up) or ceiling (if going straight up) to the cap, in the rooom with the stove standard black stove pipe , or double wall black stove pipe is fine

Thank you.

what is used to pass though the wall? stove pipe? As you can see it is stone so there are no combustibles to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.