Will this cure my coldstove downdraft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2008
alaska
I am trying to resolve my cold stove downdraft issue. I have a split level house with a basement stove. Insulated pipe runs straight out the exposed basement wall up the side of the house with about 4' above the roof line. For startup I usually need to open the nearest door for less then a minute and the stove vents no problems. It's when it's cold that I get a great deal of downdraft and of course stinky burnt wood smells. I am currently using a Jotul combifire #4. Someday when I stumble across a more efficient heater I'll buy one, but I've got nearly $3k in just the chimney and now I am thinking of spending more. I believe a more efficient stove will be even more finicky with poor draft. So in my search I haven't found much info but I am considering building a chase around the outside pipe. I want some assurances the effort and money will be worth it. Another concern is clearances. I plan to use T1-11 sheathing and 2x4 framing and enclose it from the wall opening to the roof line. According to my excel instructions I only need 1" clearance. My thoughts are to keep it close the the minimum to keep the pipe warmer which I believe is the answer for stopping the downdraft. Should I insulate it? It's kind of scary, thinking about potential chimney fires even though I keep it clean. I would appreciate some guidance from those in the know.

Chasing it in won't do a damn thing for a reverse drafting cold flue. It will still be outside of the building envelope so there is no heat to keep it drafting when there is no fire in the stove.

Fix the pressure deficit problem with the home and lower the neutral pressure plane.

Find and fix where the warm air is leaving the building and allow more makeup air to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.