Will this installation work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowinghen

Oct 2, 2012
It seems like it should work,( to us, but what do we know) but it's a little unusual, and I can't find it in an installation manual.... here goes
Our small beach house has a chimney in bad shape above the roofline. It is an old heatilator type fireplace with the tubes and metal firebox- and standard brick chimney-NOT a modern ZC fireplace.The chimney is in very rough shape above the roofline, but in decent shape on the side of the house.
We want to put in a pellet insert, cut a hole through the metal firebox and the brick chimney and exhaust the stove out the back of the fireplace. Similar to what you would do through a wall, but without the wall thimble ( because we are going through brick, so don't think it's necessary) We would terminate the mason chimney up at ceiling level with proper non combustible product ( even though it is way above the insert pipe)
We have asked people who sell the stoves and have gotten responses from no you can't do that because the pellet inserts vent out the top of the unit ( not true, the vent is in the back) to just plain No that won't work. blah blah
Only one stove guy says it will work and is generally a fine idea.
So what's the consensus here?
Will this work? Will this be safe? if not why, and do we have any other options? on't worry I'm not taking names or holding anyone reliable, just wanting some people with experience to give me their thoughts

thanks in advance, Susie

Since the fireplace brick down lower is OK, I'd just run a liner all the way to the top of the chimney and put a termination plate and cap on top. Not sure what stove you're going to go with, but if the chimney is more than about 24' high, the liner should be 4". Then seal off the chimney just above the stove at the smoke shelf.

I'd only do the set-up you suggested if the chimney above the roofline is physically unstable.....but then again, if that was the case, it should be repaired anyway.

We would like to remove the chimney to below the roofline, so we won't have to worry about the flashings etc. we would rather not repair it if we can vent horizontally through the back. This is on the side of the house on a very narrow lot, It is not even visible unless you happen to go down that side ( no walk and very little yard)

Im a mason by trade,...dont see anything wrong with your idea,... although Id be certain to not only cap the top,.. but also close off at the top of the existing firebox, otherwise you will lose so much heat up the chimney.

pelletstove.jpgthis

..yup looks good,... although Id try real hard to get an outside air kit in there... just better overall.

theres nothing at all wrong with running it out the back through the chimney - good luck
I believe there is a limitation of how long a horizontal run you are allowed to use - maybe 4' ?
As long as you are not hitting that 4'? limitation you are good.

It's a short run- just from the back of the stove through the firebox area and once outside that's it except for an elbow to end it
susie

Status
Not open for further replies.