Will this rain EVER stop???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
Had my load of logs on order for about 6 weeks. It's been so wet the logger can't get into the woods. He said he worked all of 3 days in April. Looks like I'll be processing in the heat of the summer :(

Your not alone ,its been rainy and wet here made some nice ruts in my trails getting some wood from an area that I could see some one helping themselfs to .

It's supposed to be great down here this weekend. I feel for the farmers. They were almost completely by this time last year but this year they probably won't have enough growing season to plant corn and will have to do soybeans. Corn prices are high now, $8 a bushel, but if farmers can't get planted then prices will go higher.

fv

fireview2788 said:
It's supposed to be great down here this weekend. I feel for the farmers. They were almost completely by this time last year but this year they probably won't have enough growing season to plant corn and will have to do soybeans. Corn prices are high now, $8 a bushel, but if farmers can't get planted then prices will go higher.

fv
Same here for the farmers potatoe country here planting has not been good yet ,lucky for me the field next to and across got planted so I will have taters

I was on track to finish 2 months early this year... I have plenty of wood down and bucked... I just can't get to it. There's a small lake in the way : (

It will indeed be hot, wet, buggy, and Poison Ivy filled experience.

I'm trying to clean/repair, split/stack everything possible around the house so I'm ready to roll this Summer.

A couple farmers around me had about a 3 day window last week. They worked straight thru and got everything planted. maybe 10,000 acres total.
They have over the years put some good drain tiles in those fields. I have seen corn go in around here the 2nd week of June.

It's sure not forecast to stop any time soon around here. Friday looks to be okay...

Today May 18 AM Showers 58°/49°
Thu May 19 PM Showers 65°/48°
Fri May 20 Partly Cloudy 75°/55°
Sat May 21 Few Showers 76°/60°
Sun May 22 T-Showers 80°/60°
Mon May 23 Scattered T-Storms 73°/51°
Tue May 24 T-Showers 67°/51°
Wed May 25 Showers 67°/53°
Thu May 26 Few Showers 68°/52°

mecreature said:
A couple farmers around me had about a 3 day window last week. They worked straight thru and got everything planted. maybe 10,000 acres total.
They have over the years put some good drain tiles in those fields. I have seen corn go in around here the 2nd week of June.

WOW Thats a Big Operation! Oh and to the OP NO!

Well, I suppose we should count our blessings. He may not be able to get to the logs but some parts of the country are having their logs float away right now.

pen

pen said:
Well, I suppose we should count our blessings. He may not be able to get to the logs but some parts of the country are having their logs float away right now.

pen

Yes, Its bad here, but down stream in the Mississippi is unreal!

Bigcube said:
Had my load of logs on order for about 6 weeks. It's been so wet the logger can't get into the woods. He said he worked all of 3 days in April. Looks like I'll be processing in the heat of the summer :(

10 day forecast for our area when I looked this morning called for eight days with rain, guess I'll start bringing a life jacket in the back of the Rhino when I go cutting.

GIBIR

zapny said:
Bigcube said:

10 day forecast for our area when I looked this morning called for eight days with rain, guess I'll start bringing a life jacket in the back of the Rhino when I go cutting.

Maybe you better build a raft out of logs

GIBIR

zapny said:
Bigcube said:

LOL, That pretty well somes it up. Here you get caught in the river (and I have spent many years on rivers) even with the very best equipment your going to be very very lucky to come out alive!

GIBIR

pen said:

pen

A few years ago we had a member here who had his wood piles all float away in the river flooding.

We've had our share of flooding but no where near as bad as lower Mississippi. I've had basement water a bunch of times, furnace has been out for a month because I don't want to get the repairman here just to get water again. You would think I don't need heat in May. Ended up starting a fire last night to take the chill out of the house. So not only is it WET but it's still COLD. OK, I'm done venting :zip:

This persistent weather pattern has been around way too long now. It sat over Nebraska for a long time before it finally started moving east. It is east of us now and enough south so that we are getting our rain from the east which is rare here. Normally the rain comes from the SW. One good point is that we got through the last couple nights without frost and another good point is that the weather is supposed to warm into the 70's with an occasional 80 degree day so if the rain isn't too bad, things should start to dry out.

As for the corn and beans, planting corn in early June is a common thing up here and beans get planted up to July 4. However, I've seen a couple guys plant beans as late as July 10 but those were not soys but whites.

This is lousy weather for wood cutting and seasoning, but this spring I moved a bunch of hemlock seedlings from the roadside and spread them around the property for some privacy. I do this every spring and never water enough, so many die each year. This year they are all thriving. I also seeded clover into the lawn to feed the chickens, and it is sprouting and looking good even in the driest parts of the yard. Bad year for wood, good year for transplanting.

Wet here to. My logger friends havent been in the woods for 3 months. Not from lack of work to do either. They won't mud up anyones woods or tear ruts like some do. Farmers are all WAY behind. Only a few fields planted around here.

Wood Duck said:
This is lousy weather for wood cutting and seasoning, but this spring I moved a bunch of hemlock seedlings from the roadside and spread them around the property for some privacy. I do this every spring and never water enough, so many die each year. This year they are all thriving. I also seeded clover into the lawn to feed the chickens, and it is sprouting and looking good even in the driest parts of the yard. Bad year for wood, good year for transplanting.

I bought an acre 4 years ago that a rail road went through,(for 126 years) and bull doze all the top soil. Been aerating spring and fall planting grass seed. It has finally filled in and looking like a golf course. 6 way aeration two months in a row. You can hear the water seeping into the ground. Never heard anything like it before.

Just woke from my nap ,work tonight and I see this strange orange thing in the sky .

shouldntbesocomplicated said:
Just woke from my nap ,work tonight and I see this strange orange thing in the sky .

HehHeh . . . that was my reaction about 20 minutes ago as I was squinting from the glow in the sky . . . but now we're back to gray skies and clouds.

Yes, but only because it is snowing.

I am sitting here listening to the thunder from the next wave coming from South of us. Another deluge. Heck it has been a whole two hours since the last one. The erosion on my place this year is mind boggling.

The golf courses have not been happy either. Rounds are way down. I am thinking of going to Florida for awhile, seems like the only place it has been nice and dry. This is going on 6 months of bad weather. The Myans may have been right, predicting 2012 end of the world in rain and water. Lets hope not!

Status
Not open for further replies.