Will this wood be good to burn this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveo

Jun 6, 2008
Maine
I found some oak that was cut and split in Feb/March of this year. Will it be good to burn this year when it gets cold?

IMHO that's pushing it--I like to season my oak at least 2 years. It will almost certainly burn, but it probably won't burn well (i.e. put out more heat than smoke.....).

I bought a cord of white oak 2 1/2 years ago that was supposedly "well seasoned." I didn't have a moisture meter at the time to check--I just took him for his word as he's a "friend of a friend." Long story short not only did he short me 20-30 pieces, but the wood burned pretty poorly because it wasn't well seasoned. I just bit the bullet and waited another year, and last winter I used it and it was favorite wood to burn--even beating out my prized cords of Madrone.

To summarize: while it will probably burn this year, in my opinion it would burn so poorly that it's like throwing out half the wood. Burn it this year and you'll be disappointed, wait until next year and you'll be amazed!

NP

What kind of oak do you have?

It will burn once you get it going, it will give off some heat, and it might make creosote.

It will light easier, burn better, give off more heat, and probably no creosote if you wait 2 years for black/red oak and 3 years for white oak.

Steveo said:
I found some oak that was cut and split in Feb/March of this year. Will it be good to burn this year when it gets cold?
Not unless you're splitting it down to 1" or kiln drying it. 18 months min on green oak once it's been cut and split...

Will it burn, of course, will it burn cleanly/efficiently to it's full potential, probably not.

One thing to remember when asking questions on a group that is dedicated to the wood burning enthusiast, they're going to tell you what will get you the best results. Not everyone has the room to let oak sit for 2+ years before burning. People have been cutting/splitting early spring for years and have burned their wood come fall. You may consume more wood, create more creosote and not get the full btu potential of the wood if it was allowed to season longer. I'm confident it'll burn though. :)

In the future if you don't have the space to allow oak to season longer looking for a wood that seasons faster might work better.(white ash, black locust)

Status
Not open for further replies.