Will this work? moving the heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
my insert is down stairs in our finished basement and our living room is right above. Looking at the picture....

my question is...

I plan on installing a vent in the upper right hand corner (red rectangle). Is it possible to make "something" that I can place in front of the vent of my insert and attach/connect it up to the fan? So as the heat blows out of the vent of the insert it travels up (between the blue lines) something I can make that leads to the newly installed vent?

my magnificent drawing is a mock up. Having something similar shape in front of vent then some type of tube that leads up then opens up at the top.

any thoughts/ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 141
This gets discussed a lot. First, a pellet stove is supposed to be installed on the floor where one will be spending most of their time. Two, most building codes today disallow vents or cold air returns in floors as it's a great path for fire to follow. So, you need to check with your building inspector in your town/city before you start cutting holes in floors. Otherwise, your insurance company will let you know gently that you're not covered when you try to file a claim due to a fire.

Pellet stoves, wood stoves, just don't seem to get along with insurance companies......It can get ugly fast..They will notify your mortgage company that the policy has been canceled. Your Mortgage company will demand insurance coverage ASAP or they will call your loan and foreclose if necessary..So be careful to do your homework and keep it "up to code" and save yourself a lot of grief...But yes, if allowed, floor registers DO work well. All the old farm houses had them to heat the upstairs bedrooms..The living room with the big wood stove would have a register in each corner of the ceiling leading to the rooms above....

This gets discussed a lot. First, a pellet stove is supposed to be installed on the floor where one will be spending most of their time. Two, most building codes today disallow vents or cold air returns in floors as it's a great path for fire to follow. So, you need to check with your building inspector in your town/city before you start cutting holes in floors. Otherwise, your insurance company will let you know gently that you're not covered when you try to file a claim due to a fire.

Very very good point.. I will certainly double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.