Will this work or dont attempt?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
First off, I apologize for all the questions this week but everything i needed for my install came in this week.
In the pic below is the setup for my chimney that i would like to use. The bottom tee will be about 14" below grade in a well lined with
gravel (which was helped here already here on that). I would like to add 36" pc on bottom tee then add a second tee and continue on up.
The reason for this is so i can clean from the ground up and stay off roof which is very steep.
I need to purchase 2 insulated plugs in case leaves get against bottom clean out and so that second tee stays insulated.
Anyone think this is a bad idea or have any other suggestions.
Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 2011-09-11_16-15-03_602.jpg
    2011-09-11_16-15-03_602.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 572
Seems like it should work ok. Will the bottom of the lower tee be somewhat elevated above the gravel?

About 12" between it and the gravel. I hope to build a chase around it next year, running out of time this year. Thinking about somehow making a cover to keep stuff from blowing in and getting close to pipe.

It should work out just fine. I had a setup similar to that at our old house. Keep an eye on the leaves or what have you so they don't build up near the pipe and you'll be ok. You'll be really happy to be able to clean from the ground and not contend with a steep roof pitch, especially in the winter!

HJsimpson said:
About 12" between it and the gravel. I hope to build a chase around it next year, running out of time this year. Thinking about somehow making a cover to keep stuff from blowing in and getting close to pipe.

That sounds good. You could make a leaf cage out of 1 or 1.5" mesh like chicken wire I would think.

What's your pipe run from the 'T' up to the cap going to be like?

It will be 25 more feet straight up from tee.

I had some pipe that looked like that, stainless. When I changed stoves once, I ended up with a short pc of pipe removed from the chimney. I stored it in a place that ended up having some leaves blown in around that pc of pipe, they got wet, the stainless pipe got some rust spots. One spot the metal was so thin I could punch through with my finger. So, don't let wet stuff sit against your pipe. In my case, the pipe sat there for several years, so the damage was not immediate. On the other hand, our usual relative humidity here is maybe 15%, wetter areas might suffer more damage. I found my damage when I changed stoves again and needed that expensive little length of pipe and found it unusable.

Yeah, since your pipe run is nice and straight this looks like it will work out for you well on alot of fronts. I just had my SS liner cleaned from the interior up to the cap for the first time and I have to say this method was much safer and quicker than going up on the roof.

25' should be fine. General rule is to subtract about 3' for each elbow. So 2 elbows mean subtract 6' which leaves you with 19.

I think it's a great idea! I had a very very high roof without one (WV had little building codes). Cleaning from the top of a steep pitch 3 stories up was not fun! I had to scale up the 6 foot chimney while fighting with the chimney sweeper (I have no idea why they extended it so high). I was glad to be out of that house!

Status
Not open for further replies.