Will this work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iblonger

Feb 23, 2008
SE PA
I been doing alot of reading on here and you guys are blowing my mind so, Attached is a picture of my house. The scale is a little off but the sizes are close. It is a 1920's cape cod with two bed rooms directly above the room with the fire place. We are considering a Quad 4100 or Regency 3100. The question is with the smaller rooms and the fireplace facing an odd direction will I be able to use this as my main heat source?
Thanks,
Bradley

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 332
Shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't. May have to play around with fans (ceiling, door, box, etc) to get heat movement to all the corners, and/or consider an add-on blower to the stove, but sure, no reason for it not to be your primary heat.

I'm a little concerned about a big stove in this small room. The layout is a real challenge and fans can only do so much. It looks like the fireplace room will be pretty hot in order to get meaningful heat to the other parts of the house.

i agree with BG , actually if the fireplace were on the other side of the wall above it in your drawing i would have liked it better with a large unit. but ya gotta dance with the girl that brung ya, or a costly refit to the flue which would render the fireplace unusable

Thanks for the replies. I guessed the room with the fireplace would be hot, but that is out dining room which we dont use much. I am going to put fans in the walls at two of the doorways. I dont know why they put the fireplace where they did but it would be very expensive to move it to the other side. We already have alot of work to do to the chimney. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.