Will this work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrayman

Jul 11, 2008
central Iowa
I bought a CB 4030 @ a auction last fall couldn't pass it up. It has a hard time keeping up have to fill it every 6-8 hrs. I came across a 240 gallon air compressor tank that is in great shape. i have a 90 ft run from my boiler to the house. Was thinking running it boiler-DHW-heat exchanger-storage and back to the boiler. Will this set up work and should i put a pump on the storage will i over flow the boiler?

If your system is having a hard time keeping up and filling it every 6-8 hours, storage is not going to make it better. It does not look like you have any extra to charge storage with.

What quality wood are you using? Type, moisture content, etc. If you MC is high, you can get better performance with dryer wood if you have it. The dryer the wood, the more heat to the loads. If the wood is wet, you spend wood drying the rest of the wood before it burns. It is not useful heat.

240 gallons is not a lot of storage for "most" residental applications.

A great way to see if the issue might be wood that is too damp is to get and cut up some pallets (which are generally very dry) and run a few fires with the pallet wood. If it is dramatically better, that's a sign that your current wood is too damp. Damp wood results in a surprisingly significant portion of the wood's energy being used to boil out the water- and that portion of the energy used to do that goes up the flue, never to return. I've witnessed the difference [unfortunately] myself at several points.

wood is a mix of ash, oak and locust. Oak and locust C/S/S 2 years and in the wood shed since October. MC is 15-24% on the readings i got when i moved it in. All was cut for my wood stove inside which has a big firebox can get 22" spilts in it easily.

xrayman said:
I bought a CB 4030 @ a auction last fall couldn't pass it up. It has a hard time keeping up have to fill it every 6-8 hrs. I came across a 240 gallon air compressor tank that is in great shape. i have a 90 ft run from my boiler to the house. Was thinking running it boiler-DHW-heat exchanger-storage and back to the boiler. Will this set up work and should i put a pump on the storage will i over flow the boiler?
Are you saying that the boiler isn't keeping up because you need to refill it, 7 or 8 hours? or is there enough heat when its running with a good load of wood? Randy

I have plenty of heat when it's @ 170-180 degrees. @ 6 hrs the temp gets down to 150's and plumits. I'm trying to extend burn times or the length between reloads.

A 90' run you say.
What is the diameter of you supply and return? Should be minimum 1" probably 1.25"
What BTU/Hr are we talking ?

Sorry, did not see your last reply. I would think this is quite normal.
When you fill your boiler with a full load the firebox temp will go up quickly to reach a max point, then, because the volume of the wood load is decreasing your firebox temp will go down almost linear (if your prim combustion air is more or less constant).

Sounds like you need more or bigger heat emitters. If you can't heat with 150 degree water this would seem to indicate this, Randy

Have no idea what the innards of this model CB look like, but if by any chance it is a firetube design, could you maybe put in chain turbulators [search here on the forum] to improve heat capture as the combustion gases pass through? Wouldn't extend burn time but might increase net heat per amount of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.