Will Wood Dry in the Winter Months

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wood seasoned just fine sitting on the covered porch in the winter. It dries faster the colder it gets(humidity drops as temp drops). Ever try splitting wood at -20f. It cracks open rather easily but so does your excessively dry skin if exposed.

trailblaster said:
My wood seasoned just fine sitting on the covered porch in the winter. It dries faster the colder it gets(humidity drops as temp drops). Ever try splitting wood at -20f. It cracks open rather easily but so does your excessively dry skin if exposed.

Last time it was -20f, I wasn't out splitting wood!

(Actually, I was probably on a fire truck!) It's been 30 years since we had those temps. I think the minus single digits is the lowest we've had in the past ten years. I don't split wood then either.

Ken

I don't split all my wood in the winter but I do with the occasional too big chunk or to make tiny splits for firestarters. I have grilled burgers at -30f. I made burger patties on a plate and the time I walked from the door to the grill (8 feet) they were bonded to the plate. In Northern Maine, it can get pretty cold but it'll never keep me indoors. hence, I love to snowmobile.

trailblaster said:
I don't split all my wood in the winter but I do with the occasional too big chunk or to make tiny splits for firestarters. I have grilled burgers at -30f. I made burger patties on a plate and the time I walked from the door to the grill (8 feet) they were bonded to the plate. In Northern Maine, it can get pretty cold but it'll never keep me indoors. hence, I love to snowmobile.

.....Right on....Couldn't have typed it better myself!!!

:)

trailblaster said:

In Maine, you HAVE to love winter. After all, the only other season is BUG season ;-) Right?

Ken

I was pondering how to explain this in layman's terms so I was thinking about this tonight sitting by the campfire recalling how EVERY year I get bloody noses in the winter months. WHY? Like was stated, the humidity drops and the dry air sucks the moisture out of everything. If it's down and split and kept dry, it will season. Hope this helps.

I dont season my wood for a hole year.Most years i have left over wood so i burn it first I start spliting in sept or oct and it takes till new years to get done.
The wood drys real fast once it gets cold I do split it kind of small so it will dry faster

Status
Not open for further replies.