Will you help me choose my new woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better yet visit the factory so you can pic the soapstone and the color of the castings..

Ray

Take a ride to Woodstock,, once you see the stoves in person,, you'll buy one! The stove workmanship will speak for itself.. You'll then feel very good about spending your money on a Woodstock stove.. Don't like it in 6 months,, you can get all your money back.. Nothing to lose..

. . .l will definitely be looking into the refurbished stoves, but with the big sale i am thinking it might be worth it to just buy new. . .
If any are available, I would get a refurb and save a few hundred $. Fox covered it pretty well: like new with full warranty, but you don't get the 6-month return period. Another of our members, Todd, got a new Keystone, then he wanted a second stove. . .so of course, he got a refurbished Keystone.;lol
Said the refurb looked like brand new. Hard to dismiss as wishful thinking or somesuch, when he knows exactly what a brand new Keystone looks like.:)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/another-woodstock-keystone-install.66069/

I wonder if matte black lets you see all the detail in the cast sections.
AFAICS, the darker the color, the less detail you see, and although some have kinda disagreed with me on this, I'm going to say that the other colors are satin(?) finish. . .more reflective than the matte black finish.

AFAICS, the darker the color, the less detail you see, and although some have kinda disagreed with me on this, I'm going to say that the other colors are satin(?) finish. . .more reflective than the matte finish.
Mine are the metallic blue, which is more of a medium gray with a slight blue tinge, and the castings are easily seen. Big fan of the blue. ==c

Reactions: raybonz
And I have the light gray..elegant. Love it. Had a hard time at the factory with the Fireview choosing between the blue and gray. No trouble choosing by the time I ordered a PH.

All depends on what goes best in your home, and on your hearth. I've seen installs in all the standard colors, and some custom, that I thought were great.

Go to the factory and pick your stone out if you want.Mine was unbelievable when it came and as they said,the stone gets prettier after a few burns.If you go visit and don't order 1 for gods sake don't tell Dennis,he's sensitive.::P

WOW. I am blown away by the support for this company and their stoves. You've convinced me! My girlfriend has been reading these posts and she is just as excited as i am to call up Woodstock and look in to ordering a Fireview.

Thank you Dennis for such a long, informative and thoughtful post.

I will definitely be looking in to the refurbished stoves but with the big sale i am thinking it might be worth it to just buy new. It appears the used stoves on craigslist and such really still command a premium so I don't see any advantage there.

I sold my old motorcycle today so i guess i will add that to my budget and put the money towards the woodstock. Oh my goodness now i have to choose a color! Hmm charcoal or matte black? I wonder if matte black lets you see all the detail in the cast sections.

You are very welcome my friend. There is a very good reason Woodstock is thought of so highly; they have earned it!

But selling the motorcycle?! Hum....

Ours is not a fancy install at all but we really love it. The hearth is raised 16" which makes loading the stove much nicer as I can sit on a chair while loading the stove. The back really appreciates it. In that first picture, I took that just to show where we have our wood. We keep the winter's supply in the barn then move it to the porch. Now it is a simple matter of opening the sliding door, grabbing a few logs and put them right into the stove. We normally do not keep any wood indoors unless it is in the stove. We like it that way.

Stove-door.JPG Woodstove-1.JPG

Reactions: raybonz
A little late to the party . . . but you pretty much went the route I would have recommended for what you wanted and what you have.

There seems to be two ways to get a longer burn . . . either go with a larger woodstove and you generally get longer burns or go with a cat. For some of us either type of stove would work well . . . but in your case going with a larger woodstove for a longer burn in a smaller home would leave you quite warm . . . too warm. And so . . . my recommendation would have been a cat stove . . . specifically a Woodstock stove. They're good folks with a good product and even better customer service. If I didn't love my Jotul so much I would probably have a Woodstock in my living room.

Reactions: Bub381 and raybonz
See Jake, I knew when you showed up at Woodstock's Open House you would come away a believer. ;) And I hope you also show up at the next Open House because we certainly want to go.

Reactions: Bub381 and raybonz
also late to the party, but i would have recommended the seemingly forgotten buck. i have a model 74 that i heat about 1000-1200 sqft with (depending how much i close off) and it does well. i'm in a warmer part of the country and i can tone it down to keeping it around the low 70's. the buck 80 is the similar sized cat stove, but i don't have experience with it. i can get up to about 8 hours of heat with good wood.

Gentleman, thank you for all your help. I've been meaning to put a couple pictures up. The last year has seen the new floor, brick pad, plus the wood stove and piping install. I need to get the trim finished up sometimes now.

IMG_20140125_161443_959.jpg IMG_20140125_161558_379.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.