1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Will you help me choose my new woodstove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BBnewengland, Apr 12, 2013.

1. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Better yet visit the factory so you can pic the soapstone and the color of the castings..

Ray

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. charly

charly Guest

Take a ride to Woodstock,, once you see the stoves in person,, you'll buy one! The stove workmanship will speak for itself.. You'll then feel very good about spending your money on a Woodstock stove.. Don't like it in 6 months,, you can get all your money back.. Nothing to lose..
  3. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    If any are available, I would get a refurb and save a few hundred $. Fox covered it pretty well: like new with full warranty, but you don't get the 6-month return period. Another of our members, Todd, got a new Keystone, then he wanted a second stove. . .so of course, he got a refurbished Keystone.;lol
    Said the refurb looked like brand new. Hard to dismiss as wishful thinking or somesuch, when he knows exactly what a brand new Keystone looks like.:)
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/another-woodstock-keystone-install.66069/

AFAICS, the darker the color, the less detail you see, and although some have kinda disagreed with me on this, I'm going to say that the other colors are satin(?) finish. . .more reflective than the matte black finish.
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Mine are the metallic blue, which is more of a medium gray with a slight blue tinge, and the castings are easily seen. Big fan of the blue. ==c
    raybonz likes this.
  5. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    And I have the light gray..elegant. Love it. Had a hard time at the factory with the Fireview choosing between the blue and gray. No trouble choosing by the time I ordered a PH.

All depends on what goes best in your home, and on your hearth. I've seen installs in all the standard colors, and some custom, that I thought were great.
  6. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    Go to the factory and pick your stone out if you want.Mine was unbelievable when it came and as they said,the stone gets prettier after a few burns.If you go visit and don't order 1 for gods sake don't tell Dennis,he's sensitive.::P
    billb3, charly and raybonz like this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You are very welcome my friend. There is a very good reason Woodstock is thought of so highly; they have earned it!

But selling the motorcycle?! Hum....

Ours is not a fancy install at all but we really love it. The hearth is raised 16" which makes loading the stove much nicer as I can sit on a chair while loading the stove. The back really appreciates it. In that first picture, I took that just to show where we have our wood. We keep the winter's supply in the barn then move it to the porch. Now it is a simple matter of opening the sliding door, grabbing a few logs and put them right into the stove. We normally do not keep any wood indoors unless it is in the stove. We like it that way.

Stove-door.JPG Woodstove-1.JPG
    raybonz likes this.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A little late to the party . . . but you pretty much went the route I would have recommended for what you wanted and what you have.

There seems to be two ways to get a longer burn . . . either go with a larger woodstove and you generally get longer burns or go with a cat. For some of us either type of stove would work well . . . but in your case going with a larger woodstove for a longer burn in a smaller home would leave you quite warm . . . too warm. And so . . . my recommendation would have been a cat stove . . . specifically a Woodstock stove. They're good folks with a good product and even better customer service. If I didn't love my Jotul so much I would probably have a Woodstock in my living room.
    Bub381 and raybonz like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    See Jake, I knew when you showed up at Woodstock's Open House you would come away a believer. ;) And I hope you also show up at the next Open House because we certainly want to go.
    Bub381 and raybonz like this.
  10. wesessiah

wesessiah Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Lincolnton NC
    also late to the party, but i would have recommended the seemingly forgotten buck. i have a model 74 that i heat about 1000-1200 sqft with (depending how much i close off) and it does well. i'm in a warmer part of the country and i can tone it down to keeping it around the low 70's. the buck 80 is the similar sized cat stove, but i don't have experience with it. i can get up to about 8 hours of heat with good wood.
  11. BBnewengland

BBnewengland New Member

Loc:
    maine
    Gentleman, thank you for all your help. I've been meaning to put a couple pictures up. The last year has seen the new floor, brick pad, plus the wood stove and piping install. I need to get the trim finished up sometimes now.

IMG_20140125_161443_959.jpg IMG_20140125_161558_379.jpg
    ddddddden and raybonz like this.