Willow as a feed stock for biomass? Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
I found this study about harvesting willow for biomass http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Publicati...opment-Technical-Reports/Biomass-Reports.aspx #7 10-23 Reducing the Cost of Willow Biomass by Improving Willow Harvest System Efficiency and Reducing Harvesting Costs - October 2010

Then I found this article: http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/8561/windy-conditions-make-willow-a-better-feedstock

How common is willow as biomass and has it been used for pellets? I know a couple of forum members tried the Haliburton Highland pellets and didn't like the way they burned (white hardwood - no specifics of feedstocks). So would willow be similar with lots of ash? I would imagine bark would be included due to small diameter... but they do grow more quickly than the pine, fir, spruce. I haven't seen any BTU numbers yet.

Curious...

I have a few willow trees left on my property and they are huge. Trucks are close to four feet at base or more. After getting dried down the wood is great for a quick fire in a wood stove or fireplace or a hot starter fire. Not much mass without water.

It's commercially grown for power plants, not really pellets.Super fast regen wiothout replanting for high volume crops.
You'll see miscanthus pellets long before they use willow.
20-30 years ago NYS planted 1000's of acres of willow in a study to eventually be used by Niagara Mohawks power plant here. I don't know what happened but it was never harvested and the chit is out of control. It was planted on abandoned farm land that is now unusable. The root systems on the willow is gonna raise hell with any new crop planted there in the future. You simply can't kill the stuff without serious chemical treatment.

Last edited:
Apparently widely grown in Sweden as biomass feedstock ... but where is it being used there? Trying to track this down but limited success...

Grown for Niagara Mohawk but never used? What a waste of farm lands and likely money...

Apparently widely grown in Sweden as biomass feedstock ... but where is it being used there? Trying to track this down but limited success...

Grown for Niagara Mohawk but never used? What a waste of farm lands and likely money...
More than likely power plants. Europe is big in biomass power.
I think it was state funded (study?). With the intent to use as feedstock.
The plant here is/was easily reconfigured to burn biomass and/or coal. I think they are burning a chip/coal combo now but the effective biomass mix percentage is a lot lower than they originally thought they could use and the chips acquired are from a sawmill and cheaper in price than the harvesting costs of willow. I'm not 100% sure on some of this info but I do hear bits/pieces from my contacts involved in biomass.

Ethanol plant in Little Falls MN went to burning wood chips for heating and power. Huge decrease in cost of use of NG alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.