Willow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2006
Have an opportunity to get two full cord of willow, all cut up, just needs to be seasoned. While I have never burned willow, I have heard that it burns nasty. Just wanted to hear opinions. It is my favorite price... Free. Thanks, Kevin

And "next season" may not be correct with willow. That stuff has so much water in it it could be "season after next". We lost a willow to Isabel and when I burned some of it 8 month later (not in the stove), literally streams of water were running out the ends of the logs. Also, once it is compeltely seasoned, it's very light so you're probably not gonna get a lot of burn time out of it. But what the heck, free is free.

If you can get it for free, that is about what it is worth. Cut down a willow several years ago...never really noticed it being hard to season, but the tree was half dead before i cut it. Actually it's pretty good wood for early fall / late spring burns when you just want to take the chill off, and not have a huge bed of coals for hours.

Corey

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm gonna pass. Turns out that yes it is cut up, but needs to be hauled a fair distance by hand. So, energy can be best spent on other wood. Thanks again for the info. Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.