Winches on sale at Amazon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you looking to do? A winch is not a very good tool for hauling wood up hills, out of tough places etc. due to design and power. The power rating is for the first turn and lowers as the cable/cord winds up so if you go with a winch go way "Scotty OverKill" unless this is just for sometimes use to get un-stuck with an ATV or something. Daily or all day repeated use will burn up a winch rather quickly if it is not designed for such use - especially if you are maxing it out like hauling logs would do. As with many things in the tool and heavy equipment industry, you get what you pay for, and cheap winches will likely have cheap gears and lower quality parts increasing the likelyhood of failure and dramatically shortening their useful life span.

Also, use a blanket or similar over the cable when under stress to limit the recoil if there ever is a break.

Darn it.
images

I though you said wenches.

Be nice to have one mounted on the bow of my trailer.
Winch logs & stuff on.
Could even make a small hoist to save the back with the big rounds :)

For hauling logs you want something quick. Warn 8274, HS9500, etc. I have a cheapo 5000lb winch on my trailer and if I spooled it out all the way and powered it in I could eat lunch before the cable is all wound up! Works just fine for the trailer though. Used to use a trailer with an 8274 and it was almost dangerous cause the winch would run so fast!

Wow those are some amazing prices!
I might just have to buy myself a 24volt winch for my truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.