Winching logs into truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.M2

Feb 3, 2008
WV
I just wanted to share this experience and maybe give someone else an idea to help them out.
Winching logs is obviously nothing new but it was a new experience for me.

I have access to a massive amount of wood from a logging job. The loggers were nice enough to pile all the cut-offs up for me.
My original strategy was to pull the logs out to a stable area, cut them to length, throw the pieces into the truck, climb into the truck and stack them nicely, then repeat the whole process until I had a full load. Well after a couple of loads my back just couldn't take it anymore and I could barely walk the next day.

I looked into several alternatives including a low trailer and the Lewiswinch but everything was more than I wanted to spend.
I came up with a cheap alternative which is working quite well so far.

I bolted a 2X8 across the bed of my truck from the left top side of the bed to the right side a few inches away from the cab.
I then bolted a 2000lb winch ($75) to the 2X8. I purchased the metal brackets ($15) that you bolt to 2X8 lumber to make ramps.
I purchased a set of jumper cables ($10) which I cut off one end and tied them together with the wiring from the winch to connect to the battery of my truck.

Now I just back up to a pile of logs, pop the hood and hook up the winch, set up the ramps, and pull the logs into the truck. Once they're in the truck they are easy to slide into position if necessary since there is minimal friction between the bed of the truck and the logs.
I loaded two loads the other day in less time with this method but more importantly I wasn't anywhere near as worn out.

When I get the wood home I roll it off the back into a nice pile and cut it when I want. I plan to buy a snatch block and bolt that to a post and use it with the winch to pull the logs off the truck since unloading is the most physical part of the job now.

Sounds good. Show us some pictures of your setup.

No sense in repeating myself.

Ditto on the above comments. That sounds good, would love to see pics.

Sounds like a great job. Pics Please... Pics or it never happened.

Give teh loggers a case of beer and have them load it for you.

Waiting for pics. In the meantime, check out the XRC8 winch from smittybilt- www.smittybilt.com . I have one, working on a reverse pull to do the "log-pull" thing. For a low-cost winch, it has some decent reviews. $300 from 4wheelparts.com Still waiting for pics. %-P

Came across this and looked like a good idea. I'm looking at doing something similar, as I have access to a lot of logs and would rather not buck, load, unload, split, stack (if I don't have to). I'm thinking that a #2000 winch with a snatch block would do me. Probably only going to be cutting 7-8' long, so weight shouldn't be too much of a problem. To the OP, if you see this, do I understand that you have the winch mounted to a 2x8? I wouldn't think that would hold. Just curious. I'm looking to pull them onto a trailer and would rather not mount the winch on it permanently so that I can use it for other things if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.