winching logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithm1979

Dec 22, 2012
WNY
Came across this but it was closed and couldn't reply directly to it. I like the idea of winching logs and would rather roll them than drag them. However, I don't think my cheapie trailer sides would hold up to having logs rolled over them. Any thoughts on cutting them to fit the width (ie 5') of the trailer and rolling them up the ramp in the back. Just looking to see if anyone has any idea on why that wouldn't work. I was just going to drag 7-8' lengths up the ramp but will have very little height advantage to get the nose of the log up, plus I think the log will stay cleaner if it is rolled rather than dragged.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/winching-logs.31763/

To me it comes down to time. A 5' log doesn't save a lot of time for me as compared to several 18" logs (I think I could move 3 18" pieces by hand in the amount of time it would take to winch in a 5' log). I suppose log diameter comes into play, too (there was a vast amount of wood moved by hand as 4' cordwood in the past, but there is a limit to what you can lift).

The basic method in that thread is time-proven and was used commercially until hydraulics took over.. I suspect you would want a faster rather than stronger winch, as the cable is looped back, giving you both a mechanical advantage and a lot of cable to reel in.

Status
Not open for further replies.