Wind causing back puffing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
First time ever that it's done this, I started my kindling and the stove started to back buff!! It's really windy outside, about 0 degrees Celsius...I know the chimney does need to be cleaned, we were planning on doing it this weekend. Think it's just cause of the wind?

CZARCAR said:
10-2-3 rule is supposed to avert downdrafting from wind.
dryers, kitchen vents,bathvent can create vacumn in the house as can strong wind blowing on a tight side which has opposite side of house which is loose.
if stove is cold, tape a 6" x 1" strip of toilet paper on top middle of stove entrance, leave doors open & watch direction of tpaper motion. if it pulls in & pulls out ,its the wind.

I had nothing on, same as every morning, wake up make coffee and start a fire. Just did the tp thing, it's blowing in AND out! So what's that mean, that when it's windy I can't start a fire? :(

it means :

VACCU STACK CHIMNEY CAP TO THE RESCUE ..

I just did a review/ post on it..

read it, youll like it :}

CZARCAR said:
Yamaha_gurl said:
CZARCAR said:
10-2-3 rule is supposed to avert downdrafting from wind.
dryers, kitchen vents,bathvent can create vacumn in the house as can strong wind blowing on a tight side which has opposite side of house which is loose.
if stove is cold, tape a 6" x 1" strip of toilet paper on top middle of stove entrance, leave doors open & watch direction of tpaper motion. if it pulls in & pulls out ,its the wind.

I had nothing on, same as every morning, wake up make coffee and start a fire. Just did the tp thing, it's blowing in AND out! So what's that mean, that when it's windy I can't start a fire? :(
sounds doubtful. whats your chimny setup from stove up to chimny top? any other appliances hooked into it?does the top have the 10-2-3 clearance?

It's simply a ss chimney, about 8 feet inside and 6 feet outside. And I know I'm gonna get in po-po from you guys, but no...I'm not in the 10-2-3 rule :red: Chimney is about 5 feet away from the upstairs part of the house, but about 2 feet higher then the roof at the upstairs part, if that makes sense. I've started the stove on windy days before, I do agree that today is very windy...and it's not very cold. Once again, could the chimney needing a cleaning have anything to do with it?

Here is my paint pic, don't laugh...lol.
Chimeny.jpg

When we installed it we thought for sure that we would need to go higher then the 2 feet due to lack of draft, but it worked fine up until today...worked great actually! Maybe adding another 2 feet to the top might help? I'm thinking that the wind is coming over the very top of the roof and into the chimney...if that makes sense, whatcha think?

did u read my post ?

some of us have epxerienced wind related problems and seem to solved it quickly and easily for about $100..

it sounds like that you are expericneing wind/ smoke problems, only when the wind comes form a certain direction/ speed....if it doesnt happen often, you can just put up with it, or not run the stove on those days.....or add more chimney length or try the vaccu stack./.....I went the vaccu stack route....its been succesfuly so far.

rumme said:
did u read my post ?

some of us have epxerienced wind related problems and seem to solved it quickly and easily for about $100..

If I didn't have to spend $100 that would be awsome, and where can I find one locally? We are only using wood to heat our house right now. And me being jobless, I don't want to have to spend $100 if there is an easier "fix".

Yamaha_gurl said:
rumme said:
did u read my post ?

If I didn't have to spend $100 that would be awsome, and where can I find one locally? We are only using wood to heat our house right now. And me being jobless, I don't want to have to spend $100 if there is an easier "fix".

well..if you dont have the money for a vaccu stack, and are out of work..then maybe you could just try a 2 - 3 ft ft section of cheap stovepipe...attach it to the top of the chimney and see if it solves the problem....if it doesnt, you are only out about 10 dollars...if it solves the problem, you could then purchase the correct steel to extend your chimney..

I also didint follow the 2-10 rule....therefore the wind created smoke problems for me too....vaccu stack has taken care of it so far.

CZARCAR said:
doubt chimney cleaning will solve problem. wind direction & nearby objects that violate 10-2-3 is probable cause. i'd get regular cheap pipe to extend chimney if claas a is currently unaffordable. singlewall is more apt to plug up . definitely a code violation. vacu stack may do the trick but will it plug up & how hard is it to clean?

We do have single wall in the house, but outside it's the standard triple SS I beleive. What do you mean a cheap fix? Are you saying to put a single wall pipe outside to extend it?

for me the vaccu stack was more expensive route..but much easier then purchasing a 3-4 ft section of pipe { for about $30 } then trying to weld it to my presxisting and installed chimney...

CZARCAR said:
looks like it meets 10-2-3 if upper roof is flat.

Oppps, sorry should have made a triangle at the top, the upper roof is not flat...the lower is.

CZARCAR said:
doubt chimney cleaning will solve problem. wind direction & nearby objects that violate 10-2-3 is probable cause. i'd get regular cheap pipe to extend chimney if claas a is currently unaffordable. singlewall is more apt to plug up . definitely a code violation. vacu stack may do the trick but will it plug up & how hard is it to clean?

iM GUESSING SINCE YOU SAY :

the vaccu stack WILL plug up ..means you have had one..and it plugged up for you ?

or are you just making assumptions ?

CZARCAR said:
i bet a non epa will plug it up. with epa lemme know & how hard is it to clean? looked at the site but couldnt see the guts...time tells all,eh?

okay..so you are just making assumptions that it will plug up with creosote instead of knowing 100% sure it will ..by your own experiences?

im just asking because you have said a few times, that such a wind cap will plug up with creosote, presenting it as though it were a fact.

theres big differnces bewteen presenting information as though it were facts , compared to presenting information based on asusmptions and non personal experiences. I have spoken to a few vaccu stack owners , and none of them have mentioned a problem with the unit pluggin up with creosote.

So the canadian tire that is just 1 km away has 36" length for $84. I'm thinking of just getting that and seeing if it will make a difference. Whatcha guys think?

have you even ever seen a vaccu stack chimney cap in person and close up ? { as in holding it in your hands ? } ..

making statements as though they were facts, about things/ items we may not even have a clue about, is not a very smart way to share reliable knowledge/ info IMHO...

if my vaccu stack clogs up with creostoe, like you claim it will, I will be the first one to post it on the forum and warn others about it.

It isnt like the vaccu stack totally constricts all air/ draft movement out of the chimney itself....the cap just uses a seruies of serveal stainless steel strips bent in a way, that helps prevent wind getting into the chimney.

Yamaha_gurl said:
So the canadian tire that is just 1 km away has 36" length for $84. I'm thinking of just getting that and seeing if it will make a difference. Whatcha guys think?

huh...I though you just told me in your other post, you were out of a job..and couldnt afford t spend the money { around $100 } for the vaccu stack....but you cna come up with $84 ..LOL...

are some of you people on this forum insane ? :} ...

rumme said:
have you even ever seen a vaccu stack chimney cap in person and close up ? { as in holding it in your hands ? } ..

making statements as though they were facts, about things/ items we may not even have a clue about, is not a very smart way to share reliable knowledge/ info IMHO...

if my vaccu stack clogs up with creostoe, like you claim it will, I will be the first one to post it on the forum and warn others about it.

It isnt like the vaccu stack totally constricts all air/ draft movement out of the chimney itself....the cap just uses a seruies of serveal stainless steel strips bent in a way, that helps prevent wind getting into the chimney.

Rumme...may I ask if you tried adding length to the top to sold your draft issue? That's what I'm thinking because I can get a 36" length from Canadian Tire, which is just 1 km away, for $84.00..TODAY!. I wouldn't think the Vacu Stack I can only order online correct?

sorry..no commnet...I am starting to beleive I am amongst seriously mentally disturbed people ..LOL..

G.L whatever you choose..{ to yamuha girl }

CZARCAR said:
rumme said:
theres big differnces bewteen presenting information as though it were facts , compared to presenting information based on asusmptions and non personal experiences. I have spoken to a few vaccu stack owners , and none of them have mentioned a problem with the unit pluggin up with creosote.
its called science= on a cold windless day there is a mass of cold metal atop a chimney which the smoke hits & condenses? chimney cap does same but looks easier to clean. wouldnt have either if i could avoid it & i can though i've tried some & dumped them.
i love how u semi-tropical guys come on with such expertise! fact is this is maine not oklahomer. go look up climate zones.

lets keep this simple...your are making claims that the vaccu stack WILL clog up with creosote, based on assumtpions and no personal experiences with it .

my whole damn chimney is a cold piece of metal....and I inspect it every week, and so far, no creostoe problems..

therefore , I claim your science and conclusions on this subject , are not 100% fullproof in this instance.

Rumme: Fact is I can get chimney length today for $84 plus tax, your vacu thing would need to be shipped to Canada, that will cost lots more then $100.

Czar: What do you think about adding chimney lenght? I can add 3 feet.

CZARCAR said:
rumme said:
CZARCAR said:
rumme said:
its called science= on a cold windless day there is a mass of cold metal atop a chimney which the smoke hits & condenses? chimney cap does same but looks easier to clean. wouldnt have either if i could avoid it & i can though i've tried some & dumped them.
i love how u semi-tropical guys come on with such expertise! fact is this is maine not oklahomer. go look up climate zones.

lets keep this simple...your are making claims that the vaccu stack WILL clog up with creosote, based on assumtpions and no personal experiences with it .

my whole damn chimney is a cold piece of metal....and I inspect it every week, and so far, no creostoe problems..

therefore , I claim your science and conclusions on this subject , are not 100% fullproof in this instance.
but aint it insulated?

naa...1 piece of 16 ft , single walled uninsulated 3/16 '"STEEL....

So anyone care to simply say yes or no...if adding a 3 foot lenght would help? :)

Yamaha_gurl said:
So anyone care to simply say yes or no...if adding a 3 foot lenght would help? :)

There's a decent chance another length of insulated pipe will make a difference, I think. I can't right this sec recall from the rest of the thread whether you'd checked your chimney cap for clogging already. If not, try that first, since you'll be up on the roof to add the extra length of pipe anyway.

Be sure your existing pipe and the new one will lock together happily... and to the existing chimney cap as well.

I'd say more but it looked like you were hoping for a fast reply.

Peter B.

-----

Peter B. said:
Yamaha_gurl said:

There's a decent chance another length of insulated pipe will make a difference, I think. I can't right this sec recall from the rest of the thread whether you'd checked your chimney cap for clogging already. If not, try that first, since you'll be up on the roof to add the extra length of pipe anyway.

Be sure your existing pipe and the new one will lock together happily... and to the existing chimney cap as well.

I'd say more but it looked like you were hoping for a fast reply.

Peter B.

-----

Thank you! I will buy some pipe tonight, clean and inspect and let you all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.